1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

My XS 400 Cafe Racer Project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trzcina2, Nov 16, 2013.

1. LuckyEight

LuckyEight Head-scratcher

Cool, I didn't notice the link...
    Well, your kickstart works...so there is no need to have foldable footpegs :)

2. trzcina2

trzcina2 XS400 Enthusiast

Poland
    Hi guys!!!

I've almost finished my bike!! :) here you have some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to work on some details and definitely change the seat but i will have plenty of time during winter.

Cheers!

3. levdir

levdir Rounded bolt brigade

That's beautiful, I love your colour choices.

4. unitedhow

unitedhow XS400 Addict

Looks even better than I was expecting. Great work!

5. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

6. trzcina2

Poland
    Thanks! It look better live. Trust me :D

Guys, i need your advice on setting my carburetors properly.... I have Mikuni BS34-II (probably) and i know i should rejet them because of my open pipes and POD filter, but i'm having troubles with finding good setup. How should i know i have the "perfect" setup?

I have cheap ass 48mm POD filters, and im thinking about swiching to K&N filters like this

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=rc-2330#reviews

Do you guys recommend it?

For now, i have only adjusted float level to 25,7mm on both carbs and sync them as best as i could in home conditions.

My main problem is getting the engine running while is cold. it takes about 15 kicks to start it and sometime it backfires into carburetors. After it finally it starts it misfires a bit, but after it warm up everything starting to run very evenly and smoothly.

While riding and reducing revs (braking with engine) i hear some poping from mufflers. Is it normal?

After bike gets warm I have no problems in revving up to 6/7k rpm. I never exceeded more then 7k due to my new cylinder bores.

For now my main issue is starting with cold engine. What should i check / change?

According to manual my carburetors setup should look like this:

[​IMG]

however as you can see on pic below, my main jet is 132,5 :wtf:. at least that's number on jest says it... is it OK? or i have extremely small main jet.

[​IMG]

Here is pic of my spark plug after 50km trip. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the answers!!!!
    Cheeeers!

7. xschris

It looks like you have the 77-79 (u.s.) style carbs with the idle mix screws exposed. I would go with uni filters if you are putting them directly on the carbs. Make sure you properly oil them before installing. a 137.5-142.5 main would most likely do it for top end but you won't know till you drive the bike above 7k rpm. I would try turning the idle mix screws out to 3-4 turns. Make sure the carbs are synced with a manometer from time to time as the new motor breaks in. Before you jet the bike get the type air filters you will use as a set of real oiled filters makes a great difference on tuning:wink2:

8. trzcina2

Poland
    xchris thanks!

What about pilot jet? Do i need to replace it?

What might cause problems with starting the engine?

9. xschris

If the rest of the bike is working as it should you may be lean on the pilot circuit. Get the new filters first before changing jets.

10. What a transformation! Especially the seat.

Turned out wonderfully. Good colour choices.

11. trzcina2

Poland
    Thanks!

still, plenty of work to do......

Seat is done a bit sloppy so i will have it replaced probably.

Cheers!

12. trzcina2

Poland
    Brace yourselves! The winter has come to Poland and will probably get to you very soon :) Forced to park my bike in the garage, with a bit of grief that i won't ride again probably till march 2015 i started working on some details. Neutral gear and Oil pressure indicators were first i got my hands on.

Founded site specialized in electronics and optic equipment, and ordered some LEDs, LED frames and resistors.

With no clue how to connect 2V LED to 12V battery without destroying them, i spend some time with google to find out that this is not as hard as i thought.

i found website with calculator to calculate which resistor should i use for red LED and green LED. Later it was only matter to solder them properly and.... that's it! Not hard at all :)

I managed to put small resistor in to the LED frames and everything together looks like this:

[​IMG]

Cigarettes jet lighter used to with heat-shrinking tubes secured whole perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frames for 8mm LEDs fits perfectly holes in upper handle originally designed for gauges support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for that weekend.

Cheers :)!!!

13. Sesty

Sesty H.E. Pennypacker

14. Nice clean look! I really like the relocated ignition/key switch. Is that the factory unit? Or did you pick up another one?

15. trzcina2

Poland
    I bought on the internet smallest key switch i could find. Then a friendly turner did the Teflon collar, and it fits perfectly.

I'm still thinging about for what i can use other hole :D Maybe old school cigarette lighter :laugh:?

16. LuckyEight

LuckyEight Head-scratcher

or just fill it with some ALU/stainless plug...

17. trzcina2

Poland
    Awww yesss i can feel more horsepower already :D

[​IMG]

To be honest... i dont think it will make any diference but i decided not to use cheap pod filters on completly rebuild engine and got K&N's

Looks cool thought :)

18. bcware

bcware Well-read Top Contributor

Do you have any issues with those clip-ons hitting the gas tank at full lock (especially the bolt part that tightens to the forks)? I had clearance issues with a cheaper pair I bought in the past; I have the same style gas tank.

19. trzcina2

Poland
    Not at all. Of course i can't go crazy narrow with them because i would hit the tank with control switches. But with these angles you can see on the pictures, they work fine. However quality isn't top shelf and right one somtimes make strange noises, so i don't recommend them :)

20. OleDoc

OleDoc FREEBIRDS MC Central NY

Maybe the right one is possessed?;)