My XS 400 Cafe Racer Project

Haha that might be it! :D but i think it may come from bad quality mounting which cant tighten properly the handle bar.

Last edited:
Great looking bike!! what size tires you have on it ?
Nice to see people from around central Europe here, maybe one day we can make small Europe XS400 meeting :bike:

Hi!

I'm using Pirelli Sport Demon. 110/90/18 Front - 120/90/18 Rear. Bike handles pretty well. Despite not stock tire size.

Europe meeting would be awesome :)

Plan for next months:

Changing mag wheels on spoke ones. Front disk brake hub is on the way to poland but im still looking for rear wheel.

Also im thinking about mikexs rims. Someone could recommend them?

About one hour with photoshop and here is visualisation of my idea. What do you think?

szprychy.jpg

Hi!

recently i bought pair of vacuum gauges and synchronized carbs. Video below.

I hope i did it correctly haha.... I'm still trying to figure out how to set up carbs ... bike run smoothly but i don't now if my fuel/air mixture is lean or not, and i don't have idea how to check it(spark plug is looking good). I changed main jet size to 137.5 but i didn't do anything with needle, so it remains in original position. Should i change it? Please help :)

Thanks. I synchronized them around 1200 rpm according to manual. However bike have some symptoms that bothers me a bit.

1. On cold engine, when i open throttle very quickly bike acting like this:

2. After bike worm up, it idles perfectly BUT, when engine gets hot after riding and i stop at traffic lights, it start to idle at lower RPM than it should and sometimes dies. What is going on?

That's interesting... i thought, that with big pod filters, i have to much air and the mixture is too lean when i open the throttle rather than too rich. My mixture screws are 3,5 turns out and if i screw them in about 1 turn, it starts popping from mufflers.

My spark plug looks like this after about 200km (125 miles)

20150412_112545.jpg

I am not a fan of pleaded filters directly on the carbs. The smaller and more coned they are the more it messes with these style carbs. Long round K&N's are better or attached to the stock H-pipe even more. The uni's work very well. The vacuum carbs like dead air where pleaded ones cause turbulence. Another thing to check is the floats height. What pilot jets are you running?

That plug looks like rich mixture to me. I'm looking at the metal threaded body, not the ceramic insulator. The insulator runs very hot to burn off deposits and prevent plug fouling, so don't judge the mixture by it.

As Chris suggested, your air filters are a problem. Either install those filters on the factory rubber pipes, or make "stacks" for them to mount on. There are photos in one of my albums of stacks that I have made.

Guys! I need help! Again...

After running bike in rain i noticed that my oil gauge started to show dimly light while bike was running. I immediately switched off the engine... and then oil gauge started to lit very brightly...

What do you think? Is this caused by rain and oil pressure sensor is going crazy while being wet?

Below i posted video how it looks now. While engine is running, oil gauge lit very very poorly.

Is this normal? I have problem with oil pressure or with oil pressure sensor?

Help!

The oil sensor should come on when the engine is off.

How's your oil level? Check when the engine is off and the bike is level on the center stand.

Oil is in normal level. Engine is running fine. Idles rather good.

On the video i switch off the engine so you can see that the gauge is starting to lit.

Cheers!

Hi!
I still have some issues with carbs and still need some help :)

In this gallery (link below) you can see what i was trying to do with my POD filters. I bought universal air filter material, cut it in circles to mach internal size of K&N POD filter put them in and secured them with rubber.

I also tried to use original carb - air box manifold. But it didn't make much difference.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7AbofxL8rzdWmRUTkxsMXlnNEE

What i found out:

1. With filling made from universal air filter material, bike start very easily and on LOW rpms ride just great BUT on HIGH rpm i feel huuuge lack of power.

2. With pod filters directly on carbs, bike is very hard to start but runs great on high RPM. 140 kmph (86 mph) is not a problem.

My pilot jet is 45 and my main jet is 140 (i change it from 137,5)

pls HELP :) I really want to start enjoy riding my bike and win this fight with carbs :) It's start to be very irritating:)

cheers!!

Back