My XS 400 Cafe Racer Project

I'm too far from being experienced with carb tuning. But these foam layers seem to be too thick. Foam pods are hollow inside and oiled. Do you think there is enough of air flow inside?

Are these pods K&N or one of these cheap ones? There is a lip inside some of these pods...which could block the passages on the filter side.

Thanks. These are original K&N filters. They cost a LOT so i'm trying to get them work properly no matter what :)

I found some carb setup in Sandrew's build thread (cheap pods and same mufflers as yours):

"Balanced the carbs and the engine is running great overall, no hesitation, backfiring and starts right up in every condition. As the carb config is the most searched topic on the forums, here's my setup with freeflow exhaust and filters:

*needles on the highest position
*stock 42.5 pilots (tryed 45's, huge mistake)
*145 mains"

Thanks, That's great!

I'm wondering what needles on the highest position means. Highest means rich mixture or lean mixture?

needle.gif

I suppose that means clips on #5 = highest needle position = richer

And this is what I found on xs650 forum:
"Raising the needle only richens the midrange and a bit of the lower main (and upper idle) circuit" But I am carb noob atm so...:shrug:

Last edited:
Hi!
I still have some issues with carbs and still need some help :)

In this gallery (link below) you can see what i was trying to do with my POD filters. I bought universal air filter material, cut it in circles to mach internal size of K&N POD filter put them in and secured them with rubber.

I also tried to use original carb - air box manifold. But it didn't make much difference.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7AbofxL8rzdWmRUTkxsMXlnNEE

What i found out:

1. With filling made from universal air filter material, bike start very easily and on LOW rpms ride just great BUT on HIGH rpm i feel huuuge lack of power.

2. With pod filters directly on carbs, bike is very hard to start but runs great on high RPM. 140 kmph (86 mph) is not a problem.

My pilot jet is 45 and my main jet is 140 (i change it from 137,5)

pls HELP :) I really want to start enjoy riding my bike and win this fight with carbs :) It's start to be very irritating:)

cheers!!

Put just the pod on the H-pipe WITHOUT any foam stuffed in them. :wink2:

Tried that. No big difference :)

Bike was a bit easier to start but, lacked power on high rpms and after it warmed up, idling was poor and sometimes it died.

I'll try Sandrew's setup without any foam :) and let you know! I'll also try new carb setup with H-pipe and also let you know :D

Keep your fingers crossed!!

Thanks for the input!!

What do you have the idle mix screw set at with the ( non stuffed) pods on the H-pipe?

I don't remember... I tried different settings around 3 turns out, but i don't remember current position.

It makes a difference. On my 80 the idle is not as good at three turn but perfect at 4. Even with 45 pilot jets.

Last edited:
For whatever it is worth my 1978 with pods on the carbs (no h-pipe) and a 2-1 exhaust requires that I turn the idle speed up a bit for quick and easy starts. Once the bike warms the idle speeds up and I have to lower it again. If I do not adjust the idle like this it is difficult to start when cold. Other than this it runs very well. I was adjusting jets like crazy to fix this, but in the end, for me, it was just an idle speed being too low on cold starts. Now it is 1-2 kicks after winter storage to start it.

Bigger jets can actually hurt the performance; I am not too far above stock (1-2 sizes at most); beyond that it would just bog down the engine at high rpms.

Still fighting with carbs but.....

MY SPOKE WHEELS ARE FINALLY DONE!!!

It took over 6 months to get them finished but damn... it was worth waiting!!!

20150614_134839%20(Kopiowanie).jpg

20150614_162756%20(Kopiowanie).jpg

20150614_162828%20(Kopiowanie).jpg

20150614_162748%20(Kopiowanie).jpg

Hello everyone!
Its been a while since my last login here :) My xs400 still running fine and i use it on daily basis when weather is great. Some time ago, while i was fueling my bike, some guy asked me: "Hey do you want some pro photos of your bike?" i said yeah sure! So here are some photos:

_MG_9265a (Kopiowanie).jpg _MG_9286a (Kopiowanie).jpg _MG_9294a (Kopiowanie).jpg _MG_9411a (Kopiowanie).jpg

Anyway i was brought to this forum because i need help.... again :) i would like to replace two separate units - voltage regulator and rectifier with one combo unit similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Caltric-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-1978-1985-MOTORCYCLE/dp/B009ZWO6R2
I bought one but i only have 7 wires and my original setup has in total 8 wires (5 from rectifier and 3 from voltage regulator). Is it possible to addapt this new unit to xs 400 sohc electric circuit? I should mension i have pamco electronic ignision.

Cheers,
Maciej

Hello, thank you! But anyone can help with my question? Is it possible to use Rectifier/Regulator combo on SOHC engines? My lights are getting brighter when Im opening throttle, and dimmer on idle.

Back