My XS400 build/restoration thread

Guys, I am starting to tune the carbs to get good results. Everything is stock, carbs are clean, floats set to 26 mm, carbs are synced with manometer. Air screws are 3 turns out from lightly seated. Bike starts fine, idles fine and with throttle going slowly up, it can go to red rpm without problems. But when I open full throttle very quickly, like in split second, she will die. I'll do some testing tomorrow, but maybe you will know exactly what to do.

If I understand it well, turning air screw in - mixture get richer, turning out- leaner? right? when she dies at full throttle, maybe mixture is lean? Should i try to test 2 turns or 2.5 turns out?

Unlike some other carbs, on BS34's the Pilot Mixture Screws adjust the idle mixture. In is leaner, out is richer. If less than 1.5 turns out, the Pilot jets are too large. If more than 4 turns out, the Pilot jets are too small.

I ended up with 3.5 turns out.. its not the best, but for now its ok. i will try to tune it better later. I did some test ride today, on parking lot only, and there is one more issue, which I have to deal with. There is a weird sound from the engine (right side) when riding. So its not there in neutral, even when revving the engine. Its there only when in gear and riding. I recorded a video, just for the sound, what do you think what can it be? Clutch? i did not change clutch plates yet. Or starter clutch? I really dont know right now.

here is the video, its noticable when motorcycle is moving. Strange sound like metal buzz, you can hear it from 0:10. And its in all gears, not just in first.

Is the sound there when you are moving and in neutral? Without pulling the clutch in? It's definitely a rotating part in the transmission, you can tell from the sound.

Due to the way all the pieces 'connect' and 'disconnect' depending on what you do, we can narrow down if its gears, layshaft, mainshaft, or clutch.

Oh I should add from what I can hear, the whine correlates to engine rev with load and not with the actual speed of the rear wheel, so you can pretty much narrow it down to mainshaft/clutch.

And.... just throwing this out there, don't freak out it's just a possibility, but it could also be the oil pump going bad, throwing a fit when it's under a load. Similar sound to a car oil pump or power steering pump starting to go.

Speaking of oil, is it fresh? No gas in it? Proper level?

Last edited:
When in neutral, no sound even when moving. And yes, it correlates with engine rev. Well, so in clutch there are no bearings correct? I can change clutch plates and springs. If not clutch, but mainshaft, can you be more specific? the whole transmission can be the cause? That can be pretty difficult to investigate.

Well this is one of those things where it could be about 50 different problems, all I/we can do is throw out ideas of what it could possibly be.

There are bearings on the mainshaft that the clutch is connected to. Could be a possibility.

I doubt plates and springs would make a noise like that, but either way you should take that ride side cover off and start investigating. You can disassemble most of the parts on that side, and then use the specs in the manual to make sure everything is in tolerance. See if there is any shaft play, check the oil pump specs, make sure the primary drive backlash and the oil pump backlash is set correctly, etc.

Oil is fresh, no gas in it, i checked today.

Or maybe primary drive gear? I found this discussion http://www.xs400.com/threads/does-my-bike-have-a-transmission-problem.15135/#post-156478 , where Drewpy says that primary drive gear can make this kind of noise (like a car in reverse, exactly that sound).

So we have possibilities:
- clutch basket
- transmission bearing, mainshaft
- oil pump
- primary drive gear

OK, i will start as you recommend, checking and inspecting with a manual. Will see if i find something.

Yep, exactly what you should check :)
And just to confirm, in the video it sounds like the whine is 'pulsing'. I'm assuming it's only doing this do to the video camera audio compressing the exhaust sound during the whine, correct? The whine in real life is constant and smooth? Because if it's pulsing with the exhaust note, you have other issues lol

Dont stress me more Wolfe! :D
Yes the sound is not pulsing, its constant, really it can be said that its exactly the same noise, as car does when in reverse.

So a fun day is ahead of me...

Just follow the manual exactly, it's not so bad :)
If you are lucky, it will be one of those things where you take stuff apart, scratch your head for a few minutes, put it back together, and it magically fixes itself lol

Oh make sure to check the kickstarter is in proper as well, maybe its stuck in the engagement position on the layshaft gear

I would say drive section some place. Make sure chain had the correct slack also. With the bike on the center stand and the motor off spin the rear wheel and see if there is any resistance. Also in gear with the clutch pulled in. That you would need to do with a friends help or on the ground and pushing.

So, update after inspection:

xschris: chain slack is correct, its around 20mm. With the bike on center stand, there is no significant difference between wheel resistance in neutral, or in gear with clutch in. So we can eliminate clutch drag i suppose.

I inspected and reinstalled this today:
- clutch: basket and all components look good and teets withou damage. Friction plates and springs measurements were done, everything is like brand new. Main bearing behing clutch looks good, no resistance when turning, no strange sounds. I think clutch is not the issue
- primary drive gear: teets looks good, no damage, When I was reassembling primary drive gear and clutch basket with gear, in manual there is written that each primary drive gears has letters A - F marked on them, and when replacing, the letters should match. If not there can be increased gear noise and wear. Interesting, but i dont think that was my issue, or?
I did not find any letters on small or big(clutch basket) gear. Strange to me, but i put it back in.
- kickstarter: was working before, after inspection, nothing broken or worn, so i reassembled, and tested, it works again. There is nothing dragging when i was turning the engine, so it looks that kickstater is disengaging as it should, and it will not be my issue.
- oil pump: both gears undamaged, working as they should, pump itself is withing the limits, clean and working. I think not the issue.

I did not ride it after this part, because i dont have new right side cover gasket, so I have to wait until delivered, but overall I dont believe that there was something wrong with those parts.

I will remove electric starter chain, to disconnect starter from starter clutch, because maybe starter clutch dragging and starter motor is making this noise?
The worst scenario will be transmission as the main issue. To inspect tranny, i have to split cases, correct? :(

What are your thoughts?
20160410_174635.jpg 20160410_174707.jpg 20160410_181944.jpg 20160410_181949.jpg

I will remove electric starter chain, to disconnect starter from starter clutch, because maybe starter clutch dragging and starter motor is making this noise?

I was wondering about that myself.

One thing I don't recall if you mentioned it or not. If you are in neutral with the engine running and rev it up and down does it still make the sound?

No, in neutral its OK, even when revving up, the noise appears only when gear is engaged, and engine starts to move bike forward.

When you put the clutch together you made sure the two arrows point in the same direction.DSC03123.JPG

I have never seen any "letters" on any of my stuff so I am not sure about that.

Back