My XS400 "restore"

I understand what you are saying. With how it broke the float pin doesn't actually move which is surprising but true. I am looking to do a permanent fix of some sort but I havent done it yet. Not considering the float post which else should I check. I suppose I should check that the air jets on the filter side are all open and flowing properly. Just spray carb fluid in there and check for fluid flow out of the corresponding other side orifices?

Spark, fuel and compression is what you need. You said the plugs are new but dry when you try to start it? Try starting fluid? Can't remember if you have ever said that you have heard the bike run before. Maybe the coil connections to the harness are swapped and it's firing at the wrong time. If the plugs are dry fuel is now getting trough the carbs. What are the needle settings on you jet needles? Should be third from the top. Be careful when taking them out and make sure they are assembled correctly. It makes a big difference.

Spark, fuel and compression is what you need. You said the plugs are new but dry when you try to start it? Try starting fluid? Can't remember if you have ever said that you have heard the bike run before. Maybe the coil connections to the harness are swapped and it's firing at the wrong time. If the plugs are dry fuel is now getting trough the carbs. What are the needle settings on you jet needles? Should be third from the top. Be careful when taking them out and make sure they are assembled correctly. It makes a big difference.

I am getting spark and I could get it to run before cleaning the carb. But I did put in new float needles and of course its possible that I dislodged something in the cleaning process in one of the passages... thinking choke but it did not get out of the body completely. The jet needles are on the 3rd clip down from plastic spacer.

Put everything back together and got it started. After I fixed the woodrufd key tarter engaging a but but then it is just slipping.

Going to get the oil and filter changed is my nect task.

How where the springs? Check the length of them to make sure they are in spec. Did you align the pressure plate and basket? There is an arrow on them that needs to be pointing the same way or the clutch will not work correctly.

How where the springs? Check the length of them to make sure they are in spec. Did you align the pressure plate and basket? There is an arrow on them that needs to be pointing the same way or the clutch will not work correctly.

I actually replaced the three springs with NOS ones I purchased off of ebay. I did not check the length. I did not take the starter clutch assembly apart so I did not have to change anything with regard to the pressure plate and basket. I could check over it to make sure that if it was messed with previously that it was put back together correctly so I will check on that.

Sorry, I was thinking about another members post on his actual clutch not starter clutch. If your starter clutch is slipping it could be the housing for the rollers worn or the race they ride on. Any wear at all or miss align will cause slip. Take it full apart to check.

I will check it out. I know I have some gaskets that need to be replaced and it is possible to buy a set but I was thinking about cutting my own. If I cut my own what thickness should I buy? Additional is there a specific type of material I should get?

Another question. The left exhaust has the crossover pipe broken. Anyone had any luck welding a new crossover to one of the exhaust pipes to make those connections there?

2018-10-31 09_52_43-1980 Yamaha XS400G Exhaust _ Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse.jpg

Basically this part is gone so if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it. I have a stick welder that I have never used (never welded before ever) but if someone has a suggestion/tips for if I can repair that would be great.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:
Another question. The left exhaust has the crossover pipe broken. Anyone had any luck welding a new crossover to one of the exhaust pipes to make those connections there?

View attachment 32759

Basically this part is gone so if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it. I have a stick welder that I have never used (never welded before ever) but if someone has a suggestion/tips for if I can repair that would be great.

Thanks,
Scott
Is there any viable, non rusted, surface for a replacement pipe to go over? If so, if you cut vack to that area,you should be able weld it, probably an exhaust clamp at each might suffice. If not you might be able to fabricate and weld a new one, it can get tricky. Be careful that your fix doesn't create more holes. Obviously the repair will be much easier off the bike.

Same problem on mine. Plugged the holes temporarily but I did buy a V band clamp with the idea of welding it in place.
-1628645799-1405206122.jpg

No room for misalignment or it won't seal though. A more flexible option might be better.

I wound up buying a left side muffler off if ebay. Next problem. I took the bottom plate off to drain the oil and clean that filter down there and I am not sure how it goes back on. There is an arrow on this part. My intuituon says it goes towards the front.

15524361190891984493773.jpg

Yes , but what screen does it have? If you have the later style with the metal band on it that needs to point in a specific direction. I don't think the plate really matters.
DSC03625.JPG DSC03626.JPG These are much better than the old ones with the weak rubber pegs on them.

I just ordered one of the new ones. I have waited this long to put it back together a few more days wont hurt anything.

If you needed one, I have plenty. Good idea to upgrade from your old one.

So was working on the bike today. Solder up a new fuse box. Not completely done but better than it was with wires with fuses free floating around. I got the bike running last night with a fair mount of smoke then it stopped running. I noticed a fair amount of air and smoke coming out of the front of the exhaust where it mounts to the engine, the crack in the exhaust, and the rear of the exhaust.. I had previously loosened the exhaust and I am wondering what torque it should be tightened to get a good seal there. I checked the exhaust seal inside and while compressed it doesn't look broken or torn anywhere. I closed up a crack in the exhaust pipe with one of those clamp things just to plug up the leak (hopefully).

With all that the biggest pressing issue is that it looks like it isn't starting again. I am going to thoroughly clean the carb again but in the process of taking the carb off I noticed that inside the main passage the nozzle had been pulled up by the needle. So I turn it over and take the bowl off and notice that I had, in some crazy way, not reinstalled the main jet and the main jet washer. So right now I need to find where the ended up or I just need to order new main jets. I know that xschris mentioned in my carb cleaning thread to start with 42.5 jet and 135 mains. Should I just buy a set of 135 mains?

So was working on the bike today. Solder up a new fuse box. Not completely done but better than it was with wires with fuses free floating around. I got the bike running last night with a fair mount of smoke then it stopped running. I noticed a fair amount of air and smoke coming out of the front of the exhaust where it mounts to the engine, the crack in the exhaust, and the rear of the exhaust.. I had previously loosened the exhaust and I am wondering what torque it should be tightened to get a good seal there. I checked the exhaust seal inside and while compressed it doesn't look broken or torn anywhere. I closed up a crack in the exhaust pipe with one of those clamp things just to plug up the leak (hopefully).

With all that the biggest pressing issue is that it looks like it isn't starting again. I am going to thoroughly clean the carb again but in the process of taking the carb off I noticed that inside the main passage the nozzle had been pulled up by the needle. So I turn it over and take the bowl off and notice that I had, in some crazy way, not reinstalled the main jet and the main jet washer. So right now I need to find where the ended up or I just need to order new main jets. I know that xschris mentioned in my carb cleaning thread to start with 42.5 jet and 135 mains. Should I just buy a set of 135 mains?

Well my main jet and washer were in the carb. They had just gotten wedged in behind the floats once I turned it upside down. Does anyone know what torque the jets are suppose to be screwed into the body?

I am considering tearing the bike down and going through it all getting it nice and clean down to the frame and going through all the components to get them into shape but I am curious about what others think regarding that. Should I instead get some detergent or degreaser in a spray bottle and try to clean it up that way? Particularly interested in xschris's opinion since his "fifth" bike looks great!

I pull everything off down to the motor and frame. Then clean and inspect every component. I have never taken any of my bikes to a car wash of have used water or de-greasers to clean anything. Windex, and meguiar's supreme shine protectant for painted or plastic/vinyl type stuff. I have also used other types of waxing compounds for the tank paint. Mostly spray on and buff stuff. For metal or chrome I use flitz or simichrome polish. Soda blasting, for stuff with rust and varnish. Carb cleaner and brake kleen for that sort of stuff but the soda blasting gets most of it.

Back