My XS400 "restore"

You will never get them as same as stock. If you start re-painting things like new the rest of the bike will look worse. Unless your going full resto and willing to hunt for new stuff or very clean used stuff I would just clean parts well. Remember this is a 40 yr old bike and even new old parts will have a look to it. I would concentrate on finding correct parts over re-painting parts or using aftermarket as it makes the bike look and work much better. It will all fit and most often even used stuff will work much better.

Thanks for the input. What I was thinking about doing was basically returning it back to its bones. So I guess you don't think it would really look right to clean and paint everything that needs painting. I am thinking all the way down to the frame.

These are only original once. I would rather have a few scratches and chips than use new what ever I can find paint. I have done this and wish I hadn't. I would think even pro and not cheap work it still would look weird. It's your bike some do what you feel best.

Back