1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

N8's '81 XS400 Special Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by N8Bishop, Oct 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

I've been lurking fora bit and thought I say "Thank you!" for all of the help so far, and start a build thread for my current project. Bought and fixed up a '96 Katana on '07 but it has been broken for a couple of years now :( (broke down shortly after I met my wife, and Finishing up college, wedding, & 2 Kids left little room to work on it). My kid brother asked me if he could fix it up for me... then once it was in his possession asked if i'd sell it to him (knew that was coming :laugh: ). I told him that if he found a cool project bike we could customize, I'd trade him for it... I found this XS400 Special for $250 a week later:

[​IMG]

Doesn't run, but is complete, and seems to be in fair condition other than cosmetics... We've done quite a bit of tear down & brainstorming so far (while borrowing and modding lots of ideas I've seen here). Thanks for all the tech & design advice, and wanted to send a special thanks to Drewpy whose tracker convinced me to go for the XS400 :thumbsup:. Beautiful bike, among amazing bikes!

I'll post the rest of what I've done soon...

-N8

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

welcome to the forum N8

look forward to your build :thumbsup:

3. eric123

eric123 XS400 Addict

Good looking bike for $250...

4. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Welcome to the forum. It will be nice to see what you come up with.:)

5. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

thanks fellas. here are some more pics of what we're thinking so far Just Ideas, but I'm pretty serious about modding the tank drastically:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Option A:
    [​IMG]

Option B (dotted lines are the stock Shape... this one may be a little tough):
    [​IMG]

Option C:
    [​IMG]

Option D:
    [​IMG]

Whadaya think?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  6. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

Kid brother got it running today too... Carbs were totaly seized a week ago but friday they looked like this:

[​IMG]

...Love that kid!

7. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

cool, i like the tank but would be better to flow into side covers rather than leave them open?

carbs came out great, hope they are as clean inside

8. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

Could be... i think it'll flow a little better with carbs & pods though. Don't really like the rounded edges if the side panels either. If i use anything they'd need some harder edges...

9. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

most recent chop, repurposed the stock bars:

[​IMG]

10. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

So it's been quite a while since I started this project, and a lot has been done... I'm about 200 miles away from the bike and my brother has been doing most of the work, so I'm missing much of the fun. I'll be making a trip in a couple of weeks to reassemble, ride, and plan. Then it's a disassemble in the fall for more winter mods! I'll post some pics in a few... :)

11. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

in no particular order. decided to dent the tank instead of going drastic. after looking at many examples on here I figured out that I really want an earlier XS ('76- '78) style tank, not the drawings above, but a knee dent tanks works for now... go figure ;)
    Posted via Mobile

Attached Files:

12. Scorpio1963

Scorpio1963 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I started making a knee dent tank and had it just like the shape yours is in.Then I found a crack in the top right where the curve is by the kneck.So for now its my carb tune tank.
    Also is the frame power coated or is it paint?
    I have had the notion about changing my frame to another color.

13. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

The tank looks to be in surprisingly good shape (no rust at all that I can see on the inside, and very minor rust/corosion underneath), so I hope we don't run into cracks!:yikes:

The frame is high temp paint. I was planning for gloss, but it got lost in translation to my kid brother, so it's matte :shrug:... anyway I dig the color and testing the durability is one of the reasons I want to get it on the road this season:D

we're using matte black high temp on the engine (duplicolor i think).

14. ksqrly

ksqrly XS400 Aficionado

Utah
    cool build I like the direction this is going

15. LuckyEight

LuckyEight Head-scratcher

Nice dents mate! I don't have a balls big enough to do this with my tank

16. MrYeats

MrYeats XS400 Addict

I love the projected view of where this is going.
    My dad, rest his soul, always told me as a child,"Cant never could!"

17. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

Thanks guys!!!:D
    Can't really remember where i heard it first, but i give credit to my grandmother. I say it to my employees and they roll thier eyes just like i used to... my boys are little, so they just kinda stare blankly... lol

as for the dents, I'm pretty cavalier about mods. I figure that nothing turns out exactly how i plan (at the very least i change my mind about what i want), and mistakes often mean you get to be even more creative with the fix! The first swing is the toughest, then you HAVE to go on. (Besides my brother did this one, so i just had to instigate:thumbsup: )

Posted via Mobile

18. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

Shaved and polished controls!

Posted via Mobile

19. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

[​IMG]

Posted via Mobile

20. N8Bishop

N8Bishop XS400 Addict

After a bit of discussion, Greg decided the matte red wouldn't do, so... he repainted it

Posted via Mobile

Attached Files: