Need advice about selling/parting out 1980 XS400

Johnny3D

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 1980 XS400 a few years ago. It ran when I bought it but it had some damage and needed some work. I started pulling it apart and cleaning/fixing what I could. I also bought an extra gas tank that has no dents because the one on it had a dent in it. It has been stored in an indoor workshop for about 2 years now.

Ultimately, I just lost interest in trying to find the parts to get it all fixed up. So my question is, what do you guys suggest I do? Try to sell it as a parts bike locally? Part it out? Scrap it?

I need to clear the space it is currently occupying and just wanted to get some opinions before I make the next move.

Find out your state laws on what makes a bike 'titled'. Where I live titling is enough of pain that even a titled basket case is worth more than the same boxes of parts without a title. Check your local craiglist to see what things are going for. Ebay is another outlet but the prices vary widely so be careful using it as a guide. Most builders look for their project in the fall but you you never know. If you decide to part out and you're selling and shipping at any distance I'd suggest using Paypal, yes they take a cut but you can confirm payment quickly and shorten the whole pay-confirm-ship cycle and they offer some nice services for what they charge.

If it has a title put it on Craigslist with a lot of good pics. Shipping is always a pain and ebay fees and customers with issues with your stuff is never fun. You can try to sell here but shipping and time answering questions will have to be taken into account. Also there is not many people looking for stock stuff it seems. They all want Chinese aftermarket stuff.

Back