Need carb help on an 83 Maxim!

Mike P

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just finishing reassembly of my 83 maxim, and I can't get the carbs to sit properly in the airbox boots. They are looking a bit too worn out, as the clamps just push the carb out of the boot when I try to tighten them. I would love some advice for the following:

1) Any tricks to making it work with old boots?

2) Anyone know where I can get replacement boots? I've been scouring the interwebs all night and cant' find any decent ones.

3) Is switching to pods a viable option or am I just causing more trouble for myself?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm just finishing reassembly of my 83 maxim, and I can't get the carbs to sit properly in the airbox boots. They are looking a bit too worn out, as the clamps just push the carb out of the boot when I try to tighten them. I would love some advice for the following:

1) Any tricks to making it work with old boots?

2) Anyone know where I can get replacement boots? I've been scouring the interwebs all night and cant' find any decent ones.

3) Is switching to pods a viable option or am I just causing more trouble for myself?

Thanks!
going to pods is an option. but its best to clamp them to the boots as opposed to clamping them direct to the carbs... but I guess you will still have the same problem...its best to circulate crank gasses into the boots..there are a few up for sale on uk ebay..

Last edited:
Sometimes,when the clamp pushes the boot off,it is because the boot is not far enough on the mouth of the carb.

Sometimes,when the clamp pushes the boot off,it is because the boot is not far enough on the mouth of the carb.
Yeah, I've tried to get it in further, but the boot is stretched out and cracked now, doesn't seat properly. A real bummer!

The air box on my 83 was warped and I could not get the connecting hoses to fit. I cut out most of the air box, but left enough to support the battery. I ran paper filters for a while, and switched to foam filters connected directly to the carbs. I tried tubes to place the filters further back, but nothing seemed to work. It took a while to get the jetting correct. Went up in size, then down in size. Finally with 117.5 main jets it is running sweet. I can get maximum revs in all gears except 5th, where I get 9000. I have a Maxim engine in a Seca, with the Seca carbs. At the moment it is not idling very well. Must have got a small particle stuck in there somewhere. The is a small breather you can use, or run the hose to a small block of foam. Not much comes out.

Unkle Krusty

Back