Need help with new signal lights

patrock

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all! i'm having a I little trouble understanding my new signal lights. my problem is I bought some new signal lights from dime city cycles. im positive I hooked them up correct but when I turn then signal switch left or right the new lights either stay on constantly or blink very slowly... but when I hook up the stock signals they work fine... so im wondering if I will need a new flasher relay unit?? or the new signals are garbage? or something special im not doing, any help is appreciated!!

the new ones are led? they don't draw enough power to trip the flasher. You can either replace the flasher or add resistors. I used a tridon automotive flasher from napaauto to get my leds to work. If you search for led you will see a lot of threads with the exact same issue and solutions.

Your new lights aren't drawing enough power to operate the flasher. I'm certain that they are NOT DOT legal lights. That said, changing to an LED flasher relay will cure the flashing problem.

As mentioned in every thread about new turn signals not flashing, The stock flasher is designed to work with the load of two 27 watt bulbs and the three watt indicator bulb. Most aftermarket lights use a 23 watt bulb. This is not enough draw to get the flasher to flash. Replace the stock flasher with a two prong non load sensitive flasher.
If you use LED turns then you need an LED flasher.
If you had done even a few seconds worth of looking you would have found at least one more thread on this just a few down from this one on the list.
Leo

I think most LED flashers can handle regular bulbs. I know the flasher I use, the LF1-S-flat or -pin from www.superbrightleds.com will flash just one led bulb, I tested it, up to 150 watts of any combo of LED and regular bulbs. If you put 150 watts of led light on a bike it will look awful funny.
150 watts is about 10.5 amps.
A 27 watt stock bulb draws about 1.8 amps. A LED replacement draws about .45 or .045 Anyway even at .45 amps 10.5 divided by .45 is 23 bulbs. Can you even find enough space for 23 turn signals.
Leo

Back