Need help with top-end reassembly

Pork Chop

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
I need a little help with top-end reassembly.

Do you guys use lock-tite on the timing chain sprocket bolts as per haynes instructions?

Should i use gasket goo or silicone gasket maker on the valve cover.?

The front timing chain guide did not seem to slot into any recess in the bottom of the case but seems to hold in place ok. Does this sound right? There did feel like there was a recess a little higher but I could not inset it with out considerable force and i did not want to brake anything.

Also, does the timing look right?

My new timing chain guide came with this little guide but I am not sure where it goes? The donor bike was a '78 and mine is a '81. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Pork Chop

Attachments

• IMG_5948.jpg
    IMG_5948.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5951.jpg
    IMG_5951.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5963.jpg
    IMG_5963.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 157
that middle picture, where are your field coil bolts?

the front guide is a weird thing and so long as the top cam cover mates up to it, you'll be ok.

Use thread lock on the cam sprocket and use correct torque

Josha is right, its a starter chain guide.

Thanks Josha & Drewpy - I was a little confused as they included it in the cam chain tensioner purchase.

No bolts because no field coil installed - just the cover so I could set up the cam.

What is the correct torque for the cam sprocket bolts? Can't find it in haynes.

So a thin smear of silicone is the go? - the black is good for 500f is that good enough? When I used to work on cars I used gasket goo -is that better than silicone?

Cheers.

Posted via Mobile

The Hayne's doesn't provide a torque value for the cam sprocket; I tightened mine by feel and used loctite. The factory manual probably has a proper torque spec.

I use permatex non-hardening gasket sealant for the valve cover; no leaks. Don't use too much goo as I am sure you're aware. The valve cover is machine matched, so it seals well!

The timing looks fine.

thanks BC.

Does it look like I put the inlet valve spring on upside down? Also, I wasn't sure which way the cam seal goes - does it look right?

Yeah, he's right. The cam seal is on backwards. I think you put a little oil/grease on the cam where the seal sits too so it isn't dry.

It's hard to say if the valve springs are on backwards. I think the tightly coiled side should be touching the head. Yellow painted side goes towards the sky. This goes for the inner and outer springs.

Back