Neutral to 1st problems

OneTwoThree

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
When im down shifting from 5th to 1st, i can down shift smoothly without any jerking but when i get to neutral/2nd and down shift to first my bike jerks. And sometimes its hard to get to first, it would get stuck at neutral. What could possible be the problem? my bike is currently torn apart so id like to take care of this issue if i can. Thanks guys.

The jerking is normal, but adjustment of the clutch might help a little. Perhaps new clutch springs might also help. If it is particularly difficult to get into any given gear from a stop, try rolling the bike forward or backward a short distance and try again. I also generally double-tap down to make sure I am in first.

My transmission is pretty clunky and rough compared to a modern bike, but it works if you learn how to persuade it. I'm not sure how abnormal this behavior is as it seems pretty common.

But the jerking only occurs when downshifting to first. When i go from 5th to 2nd, no jerking and its smooth. So i think my clutch is adjusted properly?

The jerking when going from neutral or second to first while stationary is within the spectrum of normal.

Most motorcycles are the clunkiest (is this a word?) when entering first gear. Old motorcycles are just even clunkier. I would not be alarmed as this is quite common. I can't say that every one of these bikes does it, but a lot of them do and it does not indicate that anything is necessarily broken.

I'm sorry I can't give you a perfect answer; it's a somewhat gray area. All I can do is reiterate that it is within the spectrum of normal.

Back