1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New bike for a friend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SoulMan, Jun 8, 2019.

1. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

I picked it up for 200 bucks. Going to take some work to get to the point where I can test it.

20190608_104104.jpg

jed74126 likes this.
  2. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Good score!! Hope you can get the paper work figured out.

3. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

We shall see... worse case do a bonded title and add 100 to the price assuming the engine runs. Will be determining that first before doing the bonded title if I need to do one.

4. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

That feeling you get when you are looking at a mess of wires and then out one pops from under some electrical tape and you start to pull the tape off and you see a butt connector.

de946157581984180c7402c7b4bf85b92589c505ee10270edf31c22af57a4a0f.jpg

5. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

Also to add. I think the harness is mostly back on for my testing. Some hacked wires here and there. Mostly the fuse box and some of the indicator lights were snipped :(. I will probably clean it up more but I got the warning lights when I turned the key which was a welcome sign. It looked low on oil so I started filling it up so I could just see if she would crank over then I realized it wasn't low but overfilled. I pulled the oil drain bolt and gasoline and oil came flooding out. The previous owner did say that the carb was flooding the bike and that he bought a new float for it but maybe they never tried to start it after that. Or maybe there is a leak with the vacuum line or something. But a little bit closer to that first crank.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019 at 12:37 PM
  6. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

Here is what I see inside... some bits and parts of what looks like the seal from the oil filter cover.

20190611_090432.jpg 20190611_090426.jpg 20190611_090423.jpg

7. Your engine thanks you dearly

xschris likes this.
  8. xschris

Looks like some sort of sealant was used at some point. This is why we only use proper gaskets and o-rings.

9. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

So I assume I should put a new o-ring here.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

Got a new o-ring for the filter housing. Started looking to put everything together and I went to get the gasket off of the bottom cover and found no gasket.

Anyone have any real good tips to get this gunk off? I personally don't like using a razer blade. I always feel like I'm going to gouge the metal.

20190619_100649.jpg

11. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

Well. I decided to try the razor blade and to my happiness there was a gasket down there.

Once I started to get under the gasket I pulled it off and then cleaned up the surface very lightly with the emery cloth there. Then I sprayed fogging oil on a paper towel and just wiped the surface to make sure to get any real fine particles off.

Now I just need to make or buy a new gasket and get this back together.

20190619_102955.jpg 20190619_103354.jpg

Should I try to get that black gunk off the inside there on that edge?

12. xschris

I would just wipe up as much as you can.

buztabuzt likes this.
  13. SoulMan

SoulMan XS400 Addict

xschris is this your forum? You are the man on here! :rock:

buztabuzt likes this.