New Brake Seals

Celtic67

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My shiny new 78 XS400 had a slight problem with the front brake binding. I've taken the caliper off & will soon set about removing the piston, which is now stuck.

To try to be ready, I'd like to order replacement seals, but I'm a bit confused as to what's needed. Wemoto show only 1 kit for my year, which contains only a piston seal and a piston dust seal (their description).

MikesXS show a kit that has a spring clip as well.

Under the SR500, Wemoto show a full rebuild kit.

So, am I likely to need the spring clip? Is the SR500 caliper the same?

I'm in the UK, so I'll probably order from Wemoto once I figure out what I need. As it's a struggle to get garage time, it would be good to be prepared when I free the piston, but if I need to do that first and inspect what I have then so be it.

just ordered one from Parts and More (which is in Canada i think) kit came with piston seal, dustboot, springclip thing, and a cap for the bleeder. I think it was 15$ and they do ship internationally

watch your fingers and hit the brake line hole with compressed air and the piston should POP right out. If air isnt doing the trick people have had success with pumping grease into the caliper with grease gun

Thanks for the reply. Did you use the springclip? I was wondering why Wemoto's kit comes without it, in case it maybe wasn't used on this caliper.

Looking at Parts n More, they have 2 kits and it's the one for the 80-81 bike that doesn't look to have the springclip. I'll drop Wemoto an email, see if they can clear that up.

Although Parts n More will ship to me, the cost's a bit high just for these seals. Looks useful if I need a few more bits, though.

if its not in rough shape you may be able to reuse the old one?

i didnt tear into the front caliper of my 78, but the rear definitely has the spring clip. And looking at the parts diagram the front has it as well

Although Parts n More will ship to me, the cost's a bit high just for these seals. Looks useful if I need a few more bits, though.
I believe they also have the piston. Might be worthwhile if the old one needs replacing.

I'm getting somewhere now, I think. YamBits have the kit with the springclip & the piston, in case I need one. They also list a shim kit for the SR500, which I suspect will fit, but I can't be sure.

I did ask them, but they didn't know either. The parts diagram links on this site don't seem to work, so I've been going by the ones on CMS. The shim looks the same on the SR500, but they don't show part numbers, so I can't be sure. The diagrams aren't the same as it looks like the SR is twin-disc.

Anyone know for sure whether I can buy parts for the SR caliper and expect them to fit?

Just to update this, I think the screw that holds the pads in place may be bent. I had to take an impact driver to it to remove it, so I'd like to replace it. The bottom 5mm or so on the old one has no thread, but images I've found look like the thread goes all the way down, so I'm not sure if I need a special one.

my brake pads came with new shims and screw in the box...

if the calipers and pads are the same off the SR i would imagine the shims would have to be the same

The shim will definitely fit. Cmsnl isn't great for cross-referencing but it's the same part # for both bikes.

The caliper assembly itself has the same part # except the suffix is incremented by one for the 500.
It's possible that something might be slightly different but youll probably be ok.
Double check that each part you need matches to be sure.

Thanks for the replies, I think I should be able to get this sorted now. I'm hoping to pop the piston out this weekend & see what condition it's in, then order whatever's needed. I'll report back on whether different bits fit.

Back