1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New guy building XS400 Softail Bobbers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Buddha, Jul 4, 2021.

  1. Buddha

    Buddha XS400 Addict

    Yeah I hear what you're saying. I had to let the paint sit a couple of days to sand with 2000 grit to get rid of dust nibs and some texture before applying the clear coat. Time will tell on longevity. If I have to redo it no big deal, it's less than a $50 base coat and clear coat material cost.
     
  2. JPaganel

    JPaganel XS400 Addict

    I am convinced that being in the Midwest is a +5 modifier to dad jokes.
     
  3. Buddha

    Buddha XS400 Addict

    LOL, I was thinking about you today JP.
    Not only did I make my rear brake assembly pretty, and also made it mechanically sound with new shoes and cleaned and lubricated brake cam.
    IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
     
    Spitfire_X24, Scotty4 and JPaganel like this.
  4. Buddha

    Buddha XS400 Addict

    Made it out to the shop today for a bit. I knocked off a small project that was bothering me, the exhaust system.

    This '80 build has the welded on mufflers and cross pipe. I've read the posts about not cutting the OEM mufflers off.
    I don't like to 'butcher' things but some PO did. You can see in the following 2 pics some PO cut the aft end of the mufflers off just past the cross pipe and welded on a piece of 2 1/2" exhaust pipe cutting an angled tailpipe. They also welded in a baffle with ~7/8" hole in it. The PO worked very hard at doing a very fugly job of this.

    Good example of a fugly job........
    IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2929.jpg

    So I said to myself "self, if man built it, man can fix it". I want to keep the upper and lower weep holes in the pipes functional.

    Upper weep hole.
    IMG_2926.jpg

    Lower weep hole.
    IMG_2927.jpg

    So I cut the mufflers off....................................................
    IMG_2931.jpg

    After measuring and scratching I found that I have to weld a piece of exhaust pipe1 1/4" long to make the pipe the same length as the '78 pipes. I also took the time to cut and form the inner exhaust pipe so that it will defuse the exhaust gases.
    IMG_2933.jpg

    The end result is attaching the aftermarket muffler to the pipes same as the '78 build while keeping the weep holes functional even though the pipes will be wrapped. I am confident the wrap will allow moisture to escape from the weep holes.
    IMG_2934.jpg
     
  5. Looking good Buddha!
    So nice, you're doing it twice!
     
  6. xschris

    xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

    10,420
    514
    163
    NY
    Sad to see what the po did to what I think is the best exhaust setup for overall performance with these bikes. It's good your able to do something with them at least.
     
  7. Buddha

    Buddha XS400 Addict

    Yes it is sad, but I believe the exhaust will turn out ok.

    Over the last couple days I cut pieces off and welded pieces that were needed on the frame just like the '78 build. Then I degreased and depainted the frame.

    Installed nutserts for the battery box.
    IMG_2950.jpg

    Set up depainted frame for primer.
    IMG_2951.jpg

    Black primer applied.
    IMG_2954.jpg

    Couple of pics of final paint (3 coats).
    IMG_2955.jpg
    IMG_2956.jpg
     
  8. Looks great Buddha! What paint did you use?
     
  9. Buddha

    Buddha XS400 Addict

    I use Dupli Color Satin Black wheel coating, 3-4 coats over black primer.
     
  10. Buddha

    Buddha XS400 Addict

    Went out to the shop for a bit today. Got a couple of small jobs done on the bike.
    First was attaching the lower mounts for the rear fender.
    IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg

    Then completed fabrication of the fender stays.
    IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2964.jpg

    Then I installed the All Balls cone bearings in the steering column.
    IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg

    Then I did the obligatory mock up........that gave me the chance to introduce myself to the bike and see what kind of personality it has.....
    I think we'll get along just fine
    IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
     

Share This Page