1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New guy building XS400 Softail Bobbers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Buddha, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Buddha

Buddha XS400 Addict Top Contributor

Bit more done on the build today.
    Completed paint and clear coat on the rear fender.

IMG_3017.jpg

Now is it ok if I vent? Ok I'll vent.
    I can't believe whoever the PO's was did to butcher this wiring harness, unbelievable. Spent a few hours soldering and shrink sleeving all the cut wiring. Here's an example of the coil wiring. It's a butcher job. People that do this to a wiring harness shouldn't be allowed to own a bike.

Wire's just cut off, twisted splices, incorrect sized crimp connectors. How in the world is this type of workmanship reliable?
    IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg

Took 1/2 an hour but this part of the harness is now up to my standard, including the correct bullet connectors.
    IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg

There's still a lot more butchered wiring to repair, but I'll get there by golly.

Spitfire_X24 and JPaganel like this.
  2. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Enthusiast

Wiring like what you had is the reason there are really cheap ex-project bikes for sale - they don't run or barely run.

Very nice job at putting things right! It is always a great pleasure to see proper wiring on old vehicles.

3. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

NY
    Those coils in your pick the white ones are for 77 to 79 point bikes . They are 4 ohm coils. The 80-82 sohc tci bikes use a 3 ohm black coil with replaceable wires.

4. Buddha

Thanks xschris, didn't even dawn on me with this bike using tci ignition. These coils that came with the bike each ohm'd out at 3.8
    Aftermarket 3.0 ohm coils on order.

5. Buddha

Well my venting is finally over. Today I completed wrapping the wiring harness after it was installed bare on the frame and all wiring wrung out and commissioned. Took me a bit longer on this build because of all the butchering this poor harness received prior to my ownership. A pic
    IMG_3036.jpg

CaptChrome, Spitfire_X24 and Scotty4 like this.
  6. Buddha

Well today I re-introduced the engine to the frame. It was a good fit
    IMG_3040.jpg

Spitfire_X24 likes this.
  7. Buddha

Received my aftermarket 3ohm coils today. In doing research on mounting these coils I see that some owners hang them below the frame coil mounts instead of above the frame coil mounts like the OEM coils are mounted. These coils are a different configuration that the OEM coils, they are larger in diameter and the tower is angled out the side of the coil instead of the end of the coil. This makes it a challenge to mount them but I've been a believer that 'If man built it, man can fix it...'
    Without altering the frame coil mounting or the fuel tank it took a bit of fiddle dicking around but I managed to rework the OEM coil br@cketz to accept the aftermarket coils and have them tucked in where they belong so that you can't see green coils hanging under the fuel tank. Next is to glass bead the br@cketz and paint them. Some pics.
    IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg

Then of course I had to do the obligatory mock up to see how things fit.
    IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3050.jpg

Another thing I researched was the TCI ignition module. Some owners had grief with these stating that they found cold solder joints and after re-soldering their grief disappeared. I removed the circuit board and inspected it closely, I must say for it's age it looks to be in great condition, I put it back together.
    IMG_3051.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg

8. Buddha

Went out to the shop this afternoon and scratched a bit, then I scratched a bit more. Then I started cleaning up the information center.
    Glass beaded the insides of the speedo and tach buckets, then painted. Buffed the outsides of the buckets with clay. Cleaned up the rubber grommets, washers, and nuts. Cleaned the glass. Tested the speedo and tach with drill- all good. Replaced all bulbs with LED's.
    IMG_3057.jpg

Then I did the most important part on these 2 builds.
    I installed the Guardian Bells.
    Without these there's no point putting these rides on the road.
    IMG_3056.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg

9. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Enthusiast

Love the Guardian bells! I have always used a gauze bag with a few cloves of garlic hung over the carbs as my go to, but the bell is definitely classy and probably smells better in the long run.

Also, thumbs up on the color-matched horn, Nice touch.

10. Buddha

Thanks Capt's!, I are Ukrainian so garlic wouldn't last on my rides.

Guardian bells keep away the bad juju cause ain't nobody got time for that.

11. Buddha

Out to the shop for a bit today. Managed to put the information center together and mount it on the triple tree.
    IMG_3061.jpg

Unfortunately my build of this second bike will come to a screetching halt, wifey and I are going south to Palm Springs for 5 months.:(

Spitfire_X24 likes this.
  12. Bikes are looking great. Looking forward to your return. Enjoy the warm side of winter.

13. Buddha

You bet, we'll be back in April:bike: