1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New guy, new build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandmanred, Oct 30, 2018.

1. sandmanred

sandmanred XS400 Member

It's not much more maintenance than anything that's painted, once it's polished out a little polish and buff with a soft rag brings it right back.

Thanks!

On to the bars. Lucky to have some 7/8 304 SS 11 gage from a previous project. Polishes out almost as bright as chrome and never rusts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spectra likes this.
  2. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C

Nice work. What did you use to get the beveling for the bars? Free hand and a disc/belt grinder?

3. sandmanred

sandmanred XS400 Member

Thanks! Normally I use a hole saw in a tube notching fixture but because the bend needed to made first and the tubing notcher only clamps to straight sections I had to go freehand. I marked the coping line with a sharpy and used the edge of a depressed center grinding wheel to get to the line. And repeated a bunch of times the refine the fit. Then finally bevel back from the coping line to promote full weld penetration (see third frame for the best detail of the bevel)

4. sandmanred

sandmanred XS400 Member

Can anyone recommend aftermarket handle bar switches? I see lots of cheap universal ones on ebay but have doubts about the quality.

5. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie

Do you need both sides or ? I replaces the right side with a factory one from Mikes. They also make the headlight switch but it isnt a simple plug and play.

6. sandmanred

sandmanred XS400 Member

I need the left replaced to make it function, the high beam switch is shot. I want the right replaced for appearance, it's corroded and faded.

Here's the start of the tank design. I start with a top and side templates in paper to generate the contour lines for the stations. Then assemble and tape over to approximate the shape on the buck. The tape gets stripped off later to become patterns to cut aluminum sheet to fab the tank. Right now the buck has a flat square end near the tank but it will angle forward from the bottom to the top. The seat will butt with into the tank making a smooth transition to the seat from the tank with enough clearance to avoid interference between the tank and seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sandmanred

sandmanred XS400 Member

Decided to get the seat and tail designed before going further on the tank. Once you're working in metal it's a lot tougher to change. The lower portion is the profile from tank to seat to tail from the right side, the upper part of the page is a top view of the tail and seat. The apparent scribbles on the lower right are the contour lines at several stations that I need to make a buck for the tail. The one random pull off is the section of the tail, it runs at angle so the detail for it gets pulled 90 degrees off that angle. It looks random on the sheet, I was running out of room on the paper so it landed there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie

Someone has way to much time :laugh2: it looks good but for me thats just to much work...........I would rather hit the shop and toss a few proto types ;) not sure how many times I have went there broke out the welder and started tacking things and said nope and into the scrap pile............

9. sandmanred

sandmanred XS400 Member

Tail section starting into 3D. This is the tail light I'm integrating into the design. It's for a Honda CBR600. It's an aftermarket LED.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]