New Guy, New Project

BigDick

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just bought me a 82 XS400 a couple of weeks ago. No title, no front wheel, no handlebars, no controls, no seat, no fenders, no front brakes. . . Perfect for a flat track race bike. Been pulling off relays, flashers, kickstand kill switches, and other fluff. I have spark, she's fired for me with carbs off and a puff of starter fluid shot into the boots, the wiring harness has been cut down to the bare minimum. Just now getting ready to start cutting extra weight off of the frame and getting my controls set up. I have a line on some renthal handlebars to use. I need a throttle and to rig a bracket on the carbs because someone decided to remove the stock one. Gotta bend the rear brake lever to clear because that was missing as well, using a take off from some other jap bike I had lying around. I'll throw up a bunch of pictures in the next day or two.

Welcome biggie, youll find plenty of great info here! :bike: We probably already know a little more about you than we would have wanted but thats cool:laugh:

Welcome. The condition of your bike sounds a lot like the '79 I recently purchased and have been working on (though if you have bikes 'lying around' you're already ahead of me, as I have to troll fleabay and the classified section here for things needed).

Good luck, and post those pictures already...

original pictures, no changes/minor changes. I'll take some fresh pics now.

xs400resized.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

New pictures, EDIT: This is actually from an 01-02 CBR600 not a GSXR. GSXR Monoshock/spring test fitted, mufflers removed, brackets and frame tentatively marked (with masking tape) to be chopped off. The last pic is my entire wiring harness. The only wires are the ones that have to be there to run and charge the battery. I'm kinda waiting on cutting it down more until I buy a battery for it and start mocking everything up.

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

Last edited:
Not much happened today, picked up a new front wheel and tire (cheng shin, used but it'll be good for a few races). Going to try a quick run to Lowe's if my Wife will let me get out before she leaves for the night. Pics to come if I do.

EDIT: No Lowe's tonight, front wheel mocked up. Still need an axle and spacers.

DSC00127-1.jpg

No, the broomstick will not be the handlebars, it's just to try and get a feel of the bike.

Last edited:
DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

Found out that the swingarm bearings were shit.
DSC00140.jpg

At least one of them was really bad.
DSC00141.jpg

Bought a new axle but still need spacers.
DSC00137.jpg

Found a bad-ass old tach.
DSC00136.jpg

As well as some snazzy handlebars that turned out to be too big and too short.
DSC00138.jpg

I'm not sure, but I might be going backward here.
DSC00139.jpg

Got my new swingarm bearings in today and installed. I was fabbing up my throttle linkage and my buddy came over. . . "why don't we start it up" "well I was making the throttle linkage" "you know you wanna hear it run" "goddammit ok" so we put some vice grips on the butterfly shaft and fired her up. Runs like a mother-humper. The float on the right side is sticking and overflowing so she's hitting about every other time on the right side. I'll pull the carb and fix that once everything else is done. It also sputters down and dies when we cracked the throttle. Do you think the second problem is related to the first? Payday is Wednesday, hopefully I can afford enough parts to finish it.

Back