New Guy to the XS400 Forums.Warning long post!

kshansen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi! Ken in New York here.

Just found out about this site this morning, I am the moderator of the somewhat dead Yahoo XS400 group. This looks to be much more active. I'm active on the XS650 mailing list and a couple Sportster and sidecar lists.

I got into XS400s by default, Went to look at some old bikes and there were two XS650s and a XS400, 1982. The bikes were all ones the guys kids had for playing around on the farm roads and had been sitting for a few years. As I already had a 650 I offered him $200 for the pair of 650s. The guy then said he's like to sell them all to clear out the shed. So he asked me what I'd give for the 400, didn't really want it so said "How about $200.00 for all three? To my surprise he said OK!

Long story short, a little time cleaning carbs an a new battery and the 400 was running. Did have a problem with rear brake that turned out to be loose linings.

After a little fancy work to get a title put it on the road and had some fun riding it.

Then a couple years later a guy at work was moving and asked me if I was interested in an old Yamaha his brother had left in the garage, I said how much? He said free, just my price range. When I got there found it to be a 1978 XS400, a little rough from being knocked around in the garage for a few years but all there including a new oil filter and oil filter bolt. Again clean carbs, new battery and dang if it didn't run too.

About this time my older brother got interested in getting a bike so I sold him the 1982 and a little later his son-in-law got the urge too so I sold the 1978 to him. Both sales were on the condition I was to get first dibs on they if they decided to sell.

Then a few years later a friend in the Virago Club asked me if I was interested in an old Yamaha he had in his barn, again right in my price range, FREE. That one, a 1977, I have got to run but I have not been able to get the paperwork to allow me to get a plate on it so it sits in my barn.

Good news is my brother bought himself a Virago and is giving his 1982 to his son-in-law so by default I am to get the 1978 back some time soon. Also I made a deal with a guy in Canada and now have a Velorex Sidecar sitting in the barn waiting for the 1978 to get here so I can mount that up. Should be a fun little outfit for anything short of Interstate Highway use.

nice story...I for one like the fact that these are not the mainstream Honda CB's ...that are practically untouchable now..You can still pick up a decent xs 400 for the right price.After a few more months of this site growing..it will be the next cult following bike!LOL

skillz i realized that its gonna suck if they turn into the next big thing and prices skyrocket. maybe we can put a stop to that, i have some ideas about hacking and shutting sites down... ill pm you the info. haha jk. that just means ours will be worth more. ;) welcome to the forum brother. i like the story looking forward to pictures

Welcome bro! Great story behind the madness! I have come across a few FREE bikes on Craigslist, but as soon as they are listed, theyre gone!!.........Damn metal scrappers around here are ridiculous!!

nice intro man, i was on that xs400 site. pity it wasn't more active. the xs650 one is the same methinks.

anyway, welcome aboard!

Hi & welcome from Yellowknife Canada,
Gotta love free bikes! We have found them at our dump, put an ad on our local trader site and picked 'em up, even had a friend drop off a beat to shit xs400, for parts last year . . . Score!

Back