new here, headed out to snag some parts

Militant_Buddhist

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, GentlemenJim tipped me off to this site by way of XJbikes.com

I'm chipping away at a PAIR of XS400R secas. The plan is to do a good twin/bad twin theme. One sat inside for many years and under all the sawdust the paint is in pretty good shape. That one has WAY more carb varnish and motor gunk though, I suspect some of it is wood resin. The other sat outside, is rusty and dented but the internals are in better shape.

I'd like to take them both apart, put one as close back to beauty, resto, clean OEM condition as possible and have the other be a rip snortin rat fighter with as many spare parts carved off as can be to act as spares for the good twin. Pods, 2-1, jets, dualsport tires, fork gaitors, little to no gages on drag bars or clipons, 530 chain, lightened motor internals and possibly even a rephase. the works.

Anyhow I'm headed out to snag a front end from craigslist. Hopefully to steal the right side fork and put in the left for double disc. Maybe that'll work out.

Anyway, just thought I'd say Hi.

Welcome MB, two bikes, man your greedy. why not put two engines in one bike? that'll keep you off the streets for a while!

how would the fork swap work? your caliper mount would be backwards...think about it.
I have to figure something out for the axle but the mounting tabs on the fork legs of plenty symmetrical. Just need to grab a left handed caliper off of something like an SR500 or whatever.

Drewpy said:
Welcome MB, two bikes, man your greedy.
wait till I tell ya what I paid for 'em :thumbsup:

RE: Pics
yeah I need to get a camera. On my list. Always doing projects and adventures that REALLY need documenting. It hit home when I realized there was not a SINGLE picture of my 150cc scooter with a ski on the front and chain made for the rear. That was a lot of fun all over town.

yeah I know about the axle, mentioned it above. figured I'd make or mod something to work.

drewpy, a definite candidate if I run across one. A small honda 'hawk is another as they went from left to right and back again over the years. I think next on my to-do list is rub a quick template of the mounting tabs and go to my local MC junk-yard looking for calipers. If I don't find something that fits really well I can weigh my options about another front end or making adapter plate/brackets for whatever calipers I happen across that I DO like. As it is I still need another rotor anyway so I might end up getting a new pair.

I also scored a set of carbs that was a whole lot cheaper than buying the one diaphragm I really needed.

Back