1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Here

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scotty4, Aug 15, 2020.

1. amc49

amc49 XS400 Addict

Yes, to confuse the innocent.

There IS a slight difference though. The mixture screw can allow curb idle to be leaner but when you open the butterfly the transfer holes that then open up are richer to act like accelerator pumps. The air screw being at the back makes BOTH of those fuel/air exit points the same amount of richness, you cannot adjust one different. Why they went to the ones in front, they are easy to adjust slightly lean to get pollution down. The drop idle speed down 50 or 100 rpm lean from best idle then affix the limiter caps thing. Then you get a clean low pollution dead idle but still have a slightly richer transition to respond better coming onto load. It helps a lot on carbs with no accelerator pumps on them.

2. ATXSOUTHAUSTIN

ATXSOUTHAUSTIN ATXSOUTHAUSTIN

That's exactly it. Is been decades since I've worked on a 70's bike. EPA was all up in everyone's business. Thanks for the refresher course. That does clear things up quite a bit.

3. ATXSOUTHAUSTIN

ATXSOUTHAUSTIN ATXSOUTHAUSTIN

Scotty!!

Let us know how your doing when you get a chance. You'll be purring/pulling before you know it. Is a great feeling and I want to see you get there.

4. Scotty4

Scotty4 XS400 Member

Mass
    I've got a clients house to paint before its too cold and a new born! I'll mess with it this week sometime.