1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New intake boot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrokeCafe79, Oct 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BrokeCafe79

BrokeCafe79 XS400 Member

I have a '79 xs400, first bike I've ever owned and recently bought it just to have something to mess around with. First thing I had to do when I got the bike was replace the intake boots and when my father in law was helping figure out the starting issues he noticed how on the boots themselves had a copper/brass nipple on each(picture provided) and was asking if they were supposed to be exposed or have a cover on them. The previous owner had the boots completely wrapped in electrical tape.

Attached Files:

2. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

NY
    Those are for syncing the carbs with a manometer. They also are for the vacuum operated petcock. The left one gets capped and the right one is for the hose and the top barb of the petcock. From your pic the carb is also missing the nylon washer to cover the butterfly seal and looks like you may have a carb link bar loose. Those carbs are from a 80-82 sohc bike. My guess is your bike is an 80 model that has a manufacture date of 1979.
    DSC03983.JPG DSC03984.JPG

3. BrokeCafe79

BrokeCafe79 XS400 Member

Have any pictures of it on your bike for a reference so I know how it properly goes? I'm just wanting on a rebuild kit for the carbs.

4. Buddha

Buddha XS400 Addict

Hey Broke
    Hope I can expand on xschris's post for you. Here are a couple of pics of the nylon washer he is referring to. It fits behind the "C" clip on the butterfly shaft, and helps keep the butterfly shaft seal in it's proper place. It's a very thin nylon washer.
    IMG_2862.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg

Now the carb link bar xschriss is referring to is the aluminum angle bar piece that 'gangs' the 2 carbs together at the correct spacing to fit onto the intake carb hangers (the rubber carb to head boots). It also keeps the intermediate fuel line in place and the carb balancing linkage in place. In your pic it looks like the outermost screw for the righthand carb is loose.
    Hope this helps:cheers:
    IMG_2864.jpg

5. BrokeCafe79

BrokeCafe79 XS400 Member

Thanks Buddha,
    I actually have a carb rebuild kit ordered and my link bar is on the bottom side of the carbs. Mostly curious about the brass/copper nipples on top of the boots. Previous bike owner had both of them capped off and my father in law was even asking if they needed to be exposed, capped off or even have a connecting line somewhere?

6. Buddha

Buddha XS400 Addict

Ok Broke, I'll try this again....the pic of my carbs are not like your carbs, I was referring to the link bar you had asked about, it matters not whether it is top or bottom, it's purpose is the same.
    As for the carb kits you've ordered, did you confirm that those nylon butterfly shaft washers are included in the kit? If they are send me the link for those kits as I would like to have some spares.
    As for the purpose of the vacuum nipples on the carb boots, xschris answered you in the first 3 sentences of post #2 in his reply.
    :cheers:

7. BrokeCafe79

BrokeCafe79 XS400 Member

Found mine on amazon luckily that seems like it has the most.
    2x fit for 80-82 XS400 Carburetor Carb Rebuild Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJ4S5Y...abc_TVTASY12YX0DFHTCN2XG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

8. Buddha

Buddha XS400 Addict

Looking at the carb kits in your link, don't see the thin nylon butterfly shaft washers.

9. BrokeCafe79

BrokeCafe79 XS400 Member