New intake boot

BrokeCafe79

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a '79 xs400, first bike I've ever owned and recently bought it just to have something to mess around with. First thing I had to do when I got the bike was replace the intake boots and when my father in law was helping figure out the starting issues he noticed how on the boots themselves had a copper/brass nipple on each(picture provided) and was asking if they were supposed to be exposed or have a cover on them. The previous owner had the boots completely wrapped in electrical tape.

Attachments

• 20210930_183141.jpg
    20210930_183141.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 177
Those are for syncing the carbs with a manometer. They also are for the vacuum operated petcock. The left one gets capped and the right one is for the hose and the top barb of the petcock. From your pic the carb is also missing the nylon washer to cover the butterfly seal and looks like you may have a carb link bar loose. Those carbs are from a 80-82 sohc bike. My guess is your bike is an 80 model that has a manufacture date of 1979.
DSC03983.JPG DSC03984.JPG

Those are for syncing the carbs with a manometer. They also are for the vacuum operated petcock. The left one gets capped and the right one is for the hose and the top barb of the petcock. From your pic the carb is also missing the nylon washer to cover the butterfly seal and looks like you may have a carb link bar loose. Those carbs are from a 80-82 sohc bike. My guess is your bike is an 80 model that has a manufacture date of 1979.
View attachment 36931 View attachment 36932
Have any pictures of it on your bike for a reference so I know how it properly goes? I'm just wanting on a rebuild kit for the carbs.

Hey Broke
Hope I can expand on xschris's post for you. Here are a couple of pics of the nylon washer he is referring to. It fits behind the "C" clip on the butterfly shaft, and helps keep the butterfly shaft seal in it's proper place. It's a very thin nylon washer.
IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

Now the carb link bar xschriss is referring to is the aluminum angle bar piece that 'gangs' the 2 carbs together at the correct spacing to fit onto the intake carb hangers (the rubber carb to head boots). It also keeps the intermediate fuel line in place and the carb balancing linkage in place. In your pic it looks like the outermost screw for the righthand carb is loose.
Hope this helps:cheers:
IMG_2864.jpg

Hey Broke
Hope I can expand on xschris's post for you. Here are a couple of pics of the nylon washer he is referring to. It fits behind the "C" clip on the butterfly shaft, and helps keep the butterfly shaft seal in it's proper place. It's a very thin nylon washer.
View attachment 36939
View attachment 36938

Now the carb link bar xschriss is referring to is the aluminum angle bar piece that 'gangs' the 2 carbs together at the correct spacing to fit onto the intake carb hangers (the rubber carb to head boots). It also keeps the intermediate fuel line in place and the carb balancing linkage in place. In your pic it looks like the outermost screw for the righthand carb is loose.
Hope this helps:cheers:
View attachment 36937
Thanks Buddha,
I actually have a carb rebuild kit ordered and my link bar is on the bottom side of the carbs. Mostly curious about the brass/copper nipples on top of the boots. Previous bike owner had both of them capped off and my father in law was even asking if they needed to be exposed, capped off or even have a connecting line somewhere?

Ok Broke, I'll try this again....the pic of my carbs are not like your carbs, I was referring to the link bar you had asked about, it matters not whether it is top or bottom, it's purpose is the same.
As for the carb kits you've ordered, did you confirm that those nylon butterfly shaft washers are included in the kit? If they are send me the link for those kits as I would like to have some spares.
As for the purpose of the vacuum nipples on the carb boots, xschris answered you in the first 3 sentences of post #2 in his reply.
:cheers:

Ok Broke, I'll try this again....the pic of my carbs are not like your carbs, I was referring to the link bar you had asked about, it matters not whether it is top or bottom, it's purpose is the same.
As for the carb kits you've ordered, did you confirm that those nylon butterfly shaft washers are included in the kit? If they are send me the link for those kits as I would like to have some spares.
As for the purpose of the vacuum nipples on the carb boots, xschris answered you in the first 3 sentences of post #2 in his reply.
:cheers:
Found mine on amazon luckily that seems like it has the most.
2x fit for 80-82 XS400 Carburetor Carb Rebuild Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJ4S5Y...abc_TVTASY12YX0DFHTCN2XG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back