New Member/ Build Thread 1981 xs400

disc0ninja

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my first xs a couple of weeks ago, in a trade. I've been doing some thinking on what I want to do in that time, and have been lurking around here quite a bit. Thought I'd start a build thread for my new project!

Here's the before pictures:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Kk99P

nice! how does it run? it looks to be in great condition, similar to mine (outside the dents from the accident).

any ideas yet on what you will do? what style of bikes are you into?

congrats, i'm having a blast with mine so far! :thumbsup:

Sorry I've been super busy with work and hardly home the past couple months :er: . I haven't made much progress on my project, but work should be slowing down for the winter here in the next month or two, and then I can get after it a bit!

The bike ran fairly decent when I got it, but had some issues. When I tore it down I found that someone had used some type of jb weld to hold in one of the exhaust studs(which broke and another someone had 9 wired the exhaust manifold on). The electric start must have crapped out on someone else down the line and their attempts to fix it have the wiring a complete mess! There are some pretty big cracks in the rubber between the carbs and engine. etc etc..

As far as plans, and what I'm into, I really like a little bit of everything. This is the first bike I'm planning on doing any serious modification too, and I'm not entirely set on any end result. I come up with so many different ideas every day, I'm kind of just going with the flow and making decisions as I go. I am planning on going kick only, and making a new harness myself. as well as modern front end and possible mono-shock set up. I was debating trying to push towards an enduro style or cafe, and I think what I'm going to end up with will be closer to a cafe.

I'll try and keep this updated more regularly as I start making more progress, and maybe check my messages once in a while... :doh:

Last edited:
My buddy blew up his 2008 Triumph Street Triple a few weeks ago and sold it to me for a good price... here's a mockup with the striple front end on the xs400 frame. Stem lengths seem close and bearing sizes are real close. I'm hoping with some digging I can find a set of bearings to make these work.

Attachments

• mockUp.jpg
    mockUp.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 414
Based on my research when I was trying to put together parts for an R6 front end swap you'll be able to find the bearings you need given enough time. There seems to be any given combination of OD/ID you could want somewhere on the internet. I had surprisingly good luck with just eBay. Gonna be killer when you make it work.

That's what I'm hoping for! I just need to find some time now to do the research and find myself some bearings and get my ass moving on the rest of the project!

Back