New member intro

SheSpeedTrippin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey there! Just got my 79' xs 400 running, so I'm relieved and excited for what is to come with this darn thing. It's ratty, found it in Bisbee, AZ for $300, plus the guy gave me a Triumph hardtail, some HD forks, and tires, so I couldn't pass that up. The bike sat in the ghetto alley for a while. Eventually found it on its side again with the kicker hanging loose, and it wouldn't start.

We live in Virginia now and have our own garage, so our motorcycles are safe, and we could finally really work on bikes. My husband and I dug into it, and found out who ever messed with it before had no idea what they where doing, and found chewed up gear clutch (no guide!), every other bolt and screw is stripped, the forks where sealed in the wrong spot, and every 3 inches of wire is hanging by a thread under cheap tape. Ugh, the list goes on. So after a year of tinkering, We have it running! Yes, I had a tear in my eye! This thing has become my favorite pain in the ass.

Not sure how to post pics on here yet.

Last edited:
DSC_0185.jpg

Very happy that it started! but when it started for the first time, the throttle is wide open, the throttle is forward and it's still on wide open. My husband had to kill it immediately. Fired it three more times and the same thing. So, we have to look into that... We're thinking the throttle cable is sticking/too tight... When we twist the throttle back it doesn't seem to have a lot of travel compared to my other bikes. Not sure if this has something to do with it, or if that's an XS thing.

Also, currently making a mold for a carbon fiber flattracker cowl, and trying to figure out different battery options.

Last edited:
I definitely like the look of the earlier tanks. Something about the square lines beats the newer, round ones any day, or for me at least. lol She's looking great so far! I will be watching the progress!

Me too! Hardtailed77, I'm finding it hard to find a pre-made squared off cowl that will flow with it. So, I'm carving some foam to create my own, but now I'm unsure how I'm going to connect the carbon fiber to a seat pan and seat pan to frame. I've only molded sculptures, so I'm hoping a lot of the same techniques will go alone with molding the seat. and I would like to try carbon fiber since I've never worked with it before. Right now I'm riding a melted PVC pipe :)

Welcome to the form. Its nice to know someone else has heard and been to bisbee az as i use to live in sierra vista and now in phoenix. Was always a good ride going to bisbee and going to the shops and looking around. Sounds like a good buy. Good luck and have fun

Me too! Hardtailed77, I'm finding it hard to find a pre-made squared off cowl that will flow with it. So, I'm carving some foam to create my own, but now I'm unsure how I'm going to connect the carbon fiber to a seat pan and seat pan to frame. I've only molded sculptures, so I'm hoping a lot of the same techniques will go alone with molding the seat. and I would like to try carbon fiber since I've never worked with it before. Right now I'm riding a melted PVC pipe :)
I think one of the cleanest ways to have the seat cowl flow well with the tank is to actually cut up another tank. You may have to section the width down some, and "finesse" it to look the way you want, but the back part of a tank that is used as the seat cowl looks awesome in my opinion.

Thanks Hardtail, that would be much easier than making a mold. Now if I can only find the same darn tank that is not over priced.

Firegatejeeyamaha- you should check out Scott and Tiny's bikes at Cochise Choppers the next time you take a trip to Bisbee, and eat at the Breakfast Club (cafe racer inspired breakfast joint) the food is amazing!

Thanks Hardtail, that would be much easier than making a mold. Now if I can only find the same darn tank that is not over priced.

Firegatejeeyamaha- you should check out Scott and Tiny's bikes at Cochise Choppers the next time you take a trip to Bisbee, and eat at the Breakfast Club (cafe racer inspired breakfast joint) the food is amazing!
I would think that you could pick one up on Ebay fairly cheap. Even a tank that has rust inside and too many pin holes to hold gas would do, since you would be cutting it up and not using it to hold liquid. Although, now that I've said that, I think if you made it to actually hold extra gas, that would be even better. You can never have enough fuel for those LONG rides! lol

I guess you may be right. I scanned quickly on Ebay and only found a few of the earlier style tank. Most were in the $150 price range, but I did manage to find one for $50. I guess it depends on your wants versus your budget. lol It may still be a decent enough price to get the look you want though...

Thanks for the listings! Love Omars site "It's perfect I won't have to change this at all!" had me cracking up and wanting to watch the Jerk again.

I almost bought a flat track seat/cowl similar to what the listings show, but I guess I'm a really frugal wench and want to DIY as much as I can, and customize it exactly the way I want it. Plus, I've been haggling a few sellers on ebay, and I think I found xs 360 tank, price+shipping for $40, maybe. I also read on another thread, Firegatejeeyamaha stated something about magnets to hold the seat pan down, I thought that was a really clever idea, and want to try it.

I have actually been to both the cafe and the shop they make some pretty interesting things at there shop as well they usually tend to make it out to alot of the bike events or car shows that went on through out the area

Back