New member, old XS400D!

Yup, those are the ones. Did you get that info off the parts list? Because that would be exceptionally useful if you did, and also exceptionally impressive if you didn't. Either way, thank you Wolfe, I'll go pick those up tomorrow so I don't crank the starter out of it's cradle

Yes for most bolts you can get the info from the OEM part number. In the center group of numbers, the first 2 digits are the size, and the digits that follow are the length. Learned that from a thread here somewhere :thumbsup:

There are some exceptions that don't follow the rule, but for the most part it works out well. This thread does a good job of explaining Yamaha codes- http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/774728-understanding-yamaha-part-numbers/

Yes, that is the stuff. I bought a bottle of it and wasn't super impressed. I've found mechanical cleaning to be far more effective and do a lot of walnut blasting (hope to try soda blasting soon).

For cutting through grease though it's likely a good chemical. Simple Green Purple also works really well

Went to the fastener store to pick up those 60 & 55.5mm M6 bolts but got there right when they closed :doh: I'll be picking those up on Monday I guess. That gives me some time to do other things such as buy new carb boots.

650direct.com has Part #20-6038 which is a set of rubber carb holders for $47.95 and fits the BS34 carbs, but will it fit on the XS400 block? It says it is compatible with 1980-1984 650's... is that just because they had a set of BS34's on there?

I'm not keen to spend $60 a pop for carb boots from boats.net so if these fit that would be reeeeeeeeeally nice!

No. The xs650 boots will not work on the xs400. You can get sets for the xs400 off ebay for around $40.

Found a set on PartsnMore for $48USD... the kicker is I didn't realize they were based in Canada:eek: That was a huge lifesaver! Carb boots are on and I'm stoked. There is a really good chance I'll be running, or at least turning over, next week. I'm going to get in to the machine shop at my school to turn my new exhaust studs, and I just have to rig up my temporary gas tank (read: modified waterbottle) and fill up the oil. I haven't synched the carbs so I'm not anticipating anything great, but I think I'll celebrate the occasion with some brews anyway!

My other thread about a new gas tank will also be updated as soon as I get the template mocked up. Fuel capacity will be pretty low but I expect this to be a low-distance ride anyway.

Other'n that I am going to map out a new wiring harness and spend the next week praying that the bike starts!

Okay, photo time. I've made myself a timing light from generic car bulbs and it works like a dream.

20150917_211235.jpg

Went to do timing and realized I should do gaps first. Followed Drewcifer's advice (handy thread on point gappinghere) and cranked the engine up to LF compression stroke, went to loosen the left point plate, and bam; this shit:

20150917_203528.jpg

Already taken out of the bike at this point. Doesn't look too bad from this angle but I couldn't get a bite with a flathead and it was rounding out waaay too fast. Removed the point and spent the next 50 minutes trying to get it out. Answer as always these days was heat heat heat heat and penetrating lube.

20150917_210715.jpg

Now that that is out I am thinking of replacing with allen heads... Also discovered the true state of my points

20150917_210746.jpg

So I figure I should just change them while the timing guts are out. I was hoping to get this thing started next week so anyone have a source for points in Canada? Can I just sand down the top for now?

I'm still excited though, cuz THE BIKE HAS ELECTRONS :bike::bike::bike:

20150917_173759.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Just throw the points in the garbage and run tci ;)

But Wolfe, I'd miss out on all the fun of gapping points! :D

A quick cost analysis isn't in the favour of TCI though... $72 canadian for new points from Partsnmore plus 2 day shipping, or $45 for regular shipping, vs $150 + shipping from Pamco....

Unless PamcoPete can cut me a deal to help with my shitty Canadian dollars (wink wink nudge nudge) I think I'll stick with the points. Depressing I know :(

Not that hard to change later. File them with a very fine Emory board, don't tell you wife you "borrowed" it, and slap them back in. We used to do that all the time when points were common. They can last a long time like that!

20150917_210746.jpg

sandpoints2.jpg

Jim :cool:

Not that hard to change later. File them with a very fine Emory board, don't tell you wife you "borrowed" it, and slap them back in. We used to do that all the time when points were common. They can last a long time like that!

I found some 1500 grit wet sandpaper so I used that instead, didn't want to muddle up my SO's ice file ;)

I'm sticking with the points for now but I will definitely switch to TCI when I get further along in the build... gapping the points and getting the timing is a holy pain in the arse. I've got to hold the wrench on the alternator bolt with my legs to keep the whole thing from flying away from TDC because I need both hands for adjusting the points!:doh::laugh:

I wasn't having success with my 12V lamp connected to the points but the gap is good so I figure I'll just get the motor turning over then go from there. Should be giving the engine a go soon, still on time for next week. Gotta fill'er up with more oil, get some gas in the spare tank, strap the frame down, bolt on the exhaust, and gather all of the fire extinguishers in my house for the big show! Also going to need a battery at some point, but I'll use jumpers and my girlfriends old car battery for the mean time.

Jeez, what a dolt:doh: I was using twine before and that was just as inconvenient as using nothing. I bet my bag of bungies was mocking me the whole time. Thanks for the tip

On the bright side (haha) I think the timing light wasn't working because I don't have the killswitch attached to the harness, so power wasn't getting through to the ignition system

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjrjt9gPw7A (youtube widget isn't working, just click this instead)

An immense "Thank You" to everyone who has helped me get to this point! I'll keep a full list of names until the end, but if you've replied to anything I've ever asked then I thank you.

SO. I'm stoked. Obviously this means that I have a lot more stuff to buy now. I've got this week off so I'm going to see how much I can get done. Going to consult one of my friends about a custom harness, and I'll be seeing about the tank and new shock mounts once I have everything written up.

Phew, feels good! I can finally change my signature :p

Cool! Congratulations:thumbsup:

Thanks mate! And also for linking the youtube video. I see what I did wrong now... don't need the entire url. It's super exciting but now I have to get the wheels on so I can roll it outside easier for engine tests and the like.

Steering Head bearings and front wheel bearings are on the way from Canadasmotorcycle, and I'm trying to sauce up bronze bushings and a new tube for the swingarm but I am having trouble finding the tube. The xs650 tube doesn't match the part number for the xs400, so the bushings are interchangable but the tube isn't? Can someone clarify for me whether this is the case, and if so where I can source a new tube to match the bushings?

Back