New member with some spare parts in good condish!

t8erbug

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
T8erbug's XS400 Brat/Scrambler

I joined a while back but now I actually have some stuff to post ha. My uncle gave me his 1980 XS400 Special that he bought new so she's a legit one-owner. It's got about 19K miles. He gave it to me with new paint on the body work, new badges, and the carbs apart in boxes. I was in a "cut it up cuz it's easy" stage and immediately began cutting (mostly unbolting) all of the stuff off I didn't want, namely, the rear end. I have been building a GS750 cafe racer for about 4 years now and was just tired of building, fabbing, machining every single piece for it hence the cut up stage. I wanted something simple and I wanted to ride... This bike finally stole my attention because I'd been itching to ride so bad. I've got 5 bikes and all of them are in the project stage aka unrideable. This one was the closest to being a runner so I thought I'd give the carbs a good clean and reassembly to see if it'd run. It does! I figure this bike would make a great brat/around town/dirt-road-to-fly-fishing-spot bike and a build like that is something I can turn around quick with only minor mods. I liked the idea of a brattier type project because it's relatively simple compared to the in-depth cafe racer build with all kinds of swap this and swap that's, fab fab fab, machine this, make that, weld, blah blah. Brats aren't necessarily about how fast they can go around a track, and I like that. I like the drum brake in the rear and the old simple stuff that make it what it already is. I also like that they almost look better dirty and with knobby tires.

So, I want this bike to be fun and easy. My goal is to keep the engine/carbs pretty much stock and use as much of the base bike as possible, or in other words simply modifying stock parts if I don't like them the way they are. I'd like to extend the stock swingarm about an 1"-1.5", raise the rear end just a skosh with some longer shocks, hoop the tail of the frame, build a custom seat pan/seat, and then I'm sure there will be some odds and ends (possibly exhaust). I've already got a set of some 60/40 road/dirt tires coming, 4-blade fuse box, new chain, new oil filter bolt (Uncle John must not have had metric wrenches to perform a proper oil change and rounded off the head :doh: ). The one thing I would like to swap is the 16" rear wheel for an 18"er. That 16" is a pain in the butt to find a semi-matching tire for! My uncle didn't have the petcock for the tank so I used one off an old XS650 tank I had lying around. It leaked so I put new o-rings in it and it works like a charm now. Even the vacuum line works! All I had to do was reroute the fuel line. I opted for an inline filter since the tank hasn't had fuel in it for years it's definitely going to need to be cleaned often for the first little while.

That said I have a mint "Special" seat available with brand new upholstery (it's so new it hasn't even been stapled to the seatpan yet), and many parts off the rear end. I'll get some pics up of the spare parts soon. For now I'll post some pics of the bike in its current condition. If you don't see parts on the bike, that means they're available to you! Feel free to PM me.

Here are 4/5 of the projects (not current)

Tires both off and ready for the new ones to get here! (and yes, I'll be hitting the rim edges with the fine grit before I install) I'll also probably PC the rims later this winter.

O and here's the pain in my butt 4yr old project, my love, the GS750. It's almost done. I should have it ready to ride shortly after getting the XS400 back on the road. Next spring is going to be awesome :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Why lengthen the swingarm? Anything longer than where it is now would be making the steering geometry worse than it is, kinda opposite of the 'cafe racer' point (lighter, faster, better handling).

You can raise the rear a bit with longer shocks, put there is a point of diminishing returns on that as well. Be sure to adjust the front to compensate, and go through all the calculations. Give Tony Foale's book a read, it's a must for suspension setups.

Why lengthen the swingarm? Anything longer than where it is now would be making the steering geometry worse than it is, kinda opposite of the 'cafe racer' point (lighter, faster, better handling).

You can raise the rear a bit with longer shocks, put there is a point of diminishing returns on that as well. Be sure to adjust the front to compensate, and go through all the calculations. Give Tony Foale's book a read, it's a must for suspension setups.

This is exactly why I am tired of my cafe racer haha. I've worked hard to make it right as far as handling goes but for my XS400 I'm not planning on making this bike a cafe racer or even a better handling bike for that matter. I know that sounds crazy but this bike will probably never see 70MPH or much asphalt. I want to gain a smidgen more ground clearance. I'll be reducing rake with raising the rear but most of the ground clearance will be gained just by lengthening the swingarm. I'll also get some trail back with the larger diameter front tire I'll be running. So, I know it's not going to be stock and/or have sportbike-like handling characteristics and that's going to make a bunch of people upset buuuuuuuuuuut once again, this bike is for fun :) If I turf it out in a dirt field I'll let you know and you'll definitely have the last laugh. I'm not too proud to post pics of the carnage if it happens haha

Ah I misread, I thought you wanted to go the 'cafe' route with it. Well if you're choppering it up, then chop it up!

Ah I misread, I thought you wanted to go the 'cafe' route with it. Well if you're choppering it up, then chop it up!

No worries! I appreciate your willingness to point me in the right direction. We'll see where the bike takes me but I'm hearing the brat/scrambler route calling my name haha

So, I got the wheels off and sandblasted them last night. Rather than PC for now I painted them with some HQ rustoleum that's treated me right in the past. In the future I might change colors or drill the rims but for now I just want to get it back together so paint will suffice. I got the tires yesterday and the 4-blade fuse box. I am missing the little oil filter washer so I'm just going to machine one up real quick today. Not that I am trying to save on a $4 part, it's just that I'm trying to get this thing together today or tomorrow. I will have the tube to make the rear hoop on Saturday, then I can start on a seat pan. Hopefully I'll have the bike back together (tires, wheels, fusebox,etc) tonight and I'll have some before and after shots of the wheels on the bike.

Last edited:
Do you have a fastenal near you? They have those oil filter 'washers' (its technically a shim) for 30 cents. I just walked in a grabbed one.

Do you have a fastenal near you? They have those oil filter 'washers' (its technically a shim) for 30 cents. I just walked in a grabbed one.

Seriously!? I was just there this morning! :banghead: I machined 4 at work today so if anyone needs one shoot me a PM.

Yep, i think it was a 30mm od by 20mm id shim.

Toss the extras you made in the classified section, I know they go missing on bikes often. My bike only had 2k miles on it when I received it, and it was missing that washer!

Will do Wolfe.

Here are some photos from last night. Got the wheels and tires back on the bike without scratching the paint terribly bad. I'm surprised haha. Oil change is finally complete. Since I didn't get to the blade box last night I'm going to try to get to it tonight. I should be able to take her for a seatless rip tonight haha. The front tire clears ever so slightly and I'm liking the look! 7/8" tubing is on its way and should be here by Saturday. New chain came today so we'll see what I can get done.

Ok, so I took it for a real spin today. Ran her right out of gas haha. It's running great in low RPMs and up into the midrange but when I roll back on the throttle it starts bogging out on me. I'm sure there are a number of possibilities. The stock airfilters could be congested, my old carb boots may have finally cracked all the way through (I'd imagine it would just run bad altogether though if that were the case), or I may have some clogged jets. I'm not a carb guru but are there are two sets of jets, right? One set for low RPMs and one for high? Maybe I just need to go through the carbs one more time now that I've run some fuel through them..

Old N Busted

New. A little taller than the stock unit so I just mounted it on the under side of the stock location and bolted from the bottom. Going to hit it with the dremel to get better fitment tomorrow.

Clears the stock seat pan with about .25" to spare.

Back