1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by longshot, May 4, 2012.

1. longshot

longshot XS400 New Member

Wanted to say howdy from texas, just bought my first sx400 from a friend. the bike is in great shape with only 1540 original miles .I have already made a few up grades on it like having the seat recovered . I recently started having running problems after leaving the gas on over night , the engine wont stay running at idle and if you get above 20 mph it starts sputtering. i have changed the plugs so far with no luck . any help with this issue would be great. thanks for having a wonderful site that I can talk to other fellow owners of such a great bike.

2. Welcome to the site?

Any other details on the bike? Year and engine type?

3. longshot

Its a 1978 vin 2G5004754 maroon in color, thinking it might be points or maybe i got something in the carbs from old sediment in the tank but thats just a guess cause before the fuel flooding it ran like a top.

4. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

welcome to the forum tex

5. longshot

ok it started right back up today so i rode it for a while and after about 10 minutes of riding it started sputtering as i increased speed , could it be points also on a side note which way does the gas pitcock go left, straight down or to the right ( i had the big side to the right is this correct ) any help would be great.

6. dO-bOy

dO-bOy Woohooo!

I think you might have it on prime. You should have a vacuum petcock which basically stays in the straight down position unless you need prime or reserve. Do you see a vacuum hose coming off the back side of the petcock under the tank?

7. longshot

yes put it striaght down and rode it after about 10 min it starts running bad what do you think points

8. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

vacuum pipe gone or disconnected.

petcock diaphragm needs replacing

9. longshot

thanks guys i will try this

10. khizer

khizer XS400 Member

hey I think I bought your bike off a auction. I haven't started it yet just wondereing if you know any problems that i should be aware of.
    thanks

11. Brian_xs400

Brian_xs400 XS400 New Member

Longshot..
    What part of texas.?
    Im new too and from dallas area
    And just bought me frame 80 xs400