New PAMCO electronic ignition on Mike's XS?

does anyone know is the pamco more for a maintinence free ignition (unlike points) or is it a more high performance

Any electronic ignition will produce 50% higher voltage from a given coil than points, so in that case it is performance. An electronic ignition is generally maintenance free as there are no mechanical parts that wear out, except in this case, the PAMCO continues to use the stock mechanical advancer.

Here is a video of a stock coil from a CB750 driven by a set of points

Hwere is that same coil driven by a PAMCO

Note that the video will miss a spark or two, but if you listen you can hear the difference between the two setups. Also, the electronics is identical for all of the PAMCO stand alone ignitions.

:cheers:Pete, thanks for your hard work creating something that will help a lot of enthusiasts keep going down the road. I hope it pays off for you and I will buy one.

Im interested in this new Pamco unit, being new to xs400 would this work with my 1980 xs400 with its different electric setup points system?

This is for bikes with point ignitions. It replaces the points with transistor triggers but still uses the mechanical advance unit so it is not a upgrade for a bike that has a TCI ignition.

@XSChris, so what your saying, there is no reason for the 80 and newer's to worry about this one? This would be a great addition for all the ones with points. Is that what your saying?

I bought one too, but the bike is running fine at the moment so I won't be installing it until it snows and I tear the bike down to the frame

If you source a mechanical advancer, you can install the PAMCO ignition in a SOHC XS400 that has a TCI ignition, allowing you to completely replace the TCI.

PamcoPete!
Did Mikes XS web site, remark which items are good for the various years?78-79/80-81 SOHC, 82-newer DOHC? XS400 vs XS650, Seems to be some guess work is still on the site, and any potential advantages? Thanks Tobie

Would not going back to a mechanical (points) advance system be a step backward from a transistor controlled advance system (TCI). I guess if your TCI box is bad this would be an option. Finding a good mechanical advance unit would be another challenge tho:doh:

That was my thought as well. so I when I looked for those keywords, I didn't see anything pointing to xs400, or specifically which year compatible. Then the advantages would be nice to see why I should? or what situation I am in that would require me to jump that direction?

Back