New PAMCO electronic ignition on Mike's XS?

I'll second what Wolfe said, but I will add that additional resistance to the secondary side of the ignition (the spark side) will not only reduce EMI, but will also make for a hotter spark. This assumes that the ignition coils can overcome the added resistance, and that the wires are good enough to not leak at the higher voltage.

The upside to a hotter spark is the ability to fire a fouled plug, and the ability to ignite a less than optimum mixture. Cold starts are improved and engine operation with incorrect jetting is more reliable. The down side to a hotter spark is increased plug wear, and any weakness in the ignition system will be revealed. Usually shockingly so... :yikes:

I wonder if mikes will exchange for the newer one. They are the same price, they only sold the condenser one for a few weeks before upgrading to a superior design. I feel like i got hosed.

If your mechanical advancer is in good condition there's no reason not to use it.
I wouldn't say you got hosed as the new pamco with e-advance costs a fair but more than the mechanical advance version.

Edit: The e-advance version of the pamco is 70 USD MORE than the mechanical advance version directly from Pete.
MikesXS only appears to sell the mechanical advance version. I do not see the e-advance version for the XS400 on there.

Last edited:
If your mechanical advancer is in good condition there's no reason not to use it.
I wouldn't say you got hosed as the new pamco with e-advance costs a fair but more than the mechanical advance version.

Edit: The e-advance version of the pamco is 70 USD MORE than the mechanical advance version directly from Pete.
MikesXS only appears to sell the mechanical advance version. I do not see the e-advance version for the XS400 on there.
Yes confused, meant mechanical advance. I wouldn't mind paying the difference. But i installed it correctly, it failed, i want the better model.

Pete is really good about supporting his products.
I'd double-check the installation, check ignition coil primary and secondary resistances, then contact Pete.

Pete is really good about supporting his products.
I'd double-check the installation, check ignition coil primary and secondary resistances, then contact Pete.
I checked all the connections, checked the valves, checked the carbs, the petcock, tried a different battery, the spark is inconsistent. Im going to try the spark boots that came with it if that doesn't work then I'm going to reinstall the points. If the points work then its the electronic ignition.

here's mine installation on the tracker. No room under the seat so I got creative.
its rubber mounted above the cyl head

WP_20160503_002_zpsmwreypii.jpg

WP_20160503_001_zpssahaksjg.jpg

Well, I can't say how well the Pamco works on an XS400, but I can say without any reservations that it's one upgrade to an XS650 that should be done. My 75 never ran so well.
Leo

The cheaper one would work but you'd be using the old mechanical advancer from the points.
I'd personally go 100% electronic and get the e-advancer model.

A couple members have recently installed Pamcos. Can't remember who might have had one installed longer. Wolfe had one but then his bike was destroyed....

I recently installed the Pamco with the E-advance on my 360. Its a wonderful product. Ive had it installed 2-3 weeks now and Ive gone probably over 400 miles including two rides to work that are 40 miles each way on the highway.

I had a little trouble understanding the instructions at first on how to hook the advancer up to the coils but I figured it out. I also had to adjust both PC boards on the timing plate slightly to get them lined up, this is all no big deal. Pamco has it mentioned that you may need to move both boards to get timing right.

I also bought new coils, wires, insulated boots, and plugs to go with the Pamco.

Timing is spot on at 1000 rpm and doesnt shift around at all. It ALWAYS fires on the 10* mark at idle and it advances smoothly up to the full advance mark exactly. Its so much more stable at low rpms, I can get it to idle at probably 400 rpm. It always fires and doesnt miss. I also got to remove the condenser.

You will need to sharpen your wiring skills as you need to connect your own connectors to the E-advance and pickup wires. I bought the smallest connectors I could and busted out the soldering iron, I used the coil mount as a ground also. Over the Winter, Im gonna tackle the wiring of the bike and get it cleaned up and I need to make a new seat badly lol...

Back