new pamco electronic ignition

steen178

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
hi all must tell you how incredible the pamco electronic ignition, which was released earlier this year is.I purchased the pamco ignition system from pamco pete in America,he is a member on this forum. he has been supplying the kit for the xs650 for years,and has developed this kit for the xs400.
I own a 1981 xs400se and was fed up constantly setting points due to various reasons,the most common being points slipping.
my bike would tick over lovely when they were set,but this never lasted I always new when the points had moved,due to bike cutting out at traffic lights etc.
I cannot stress how amazing the pamco electronic ignition is.the kit is simple to fit comes with clear instructions and will transform your bike,after fitting my kit from the moment I started the bike I noticed the difference.my xs sounded much healthier and ticked over so strongly without hesitation.When I drove bike after kit fitted I was amazed,she took off and sounded incredible.I checked timing with strobe light after 500 miles and was still spot on,hadnt budged.
I have now covered 0ver 2000 miles and haven't missed a beat,bike starts first time every time,ticks over perfectly never cuts out.Also mpg has gone up a lot,she uses much less petrol and I get a lovely plug colour due to pamco kit.
Will never go back to original points,the performance increase is very noticeable.
Take my advise don't even think about it,buy it,fit,and enjoy just riding a much enhanced bike.
Pete is a genius and would like to thank him for developing this for the xs400,remember he has proven this system on the xs650 for years.cheers pete.

I'm hoping to echo steen178's long term experience as I've just installed mine yesterday. Hadn't even really had mine running, just a quick few startups and idling. I had mine torn apart to do the first oil change, valve adjustments and chose to do it then. Very thoughtful design and easy installation. Afterward it started like a charm and I finally rode the beasty! Very smooth and zero stumbling.

Since I no longer need to remove the generator cover to mess with the points, I wanted an easy way to check the timing without having to pull it. So I made a sight port in the cover.

Since I no longer need to remove the generator cover to mess with the points, I wanted an easy way to check the timing without having to pull it. So I made a sight port in the cover.

good one moto, I have a perspex window in mine for that very reason, so don'teven have to take anything off.I'm on points again ATM but will be getting a Pamcopete when funds allow:thumbsup:

I'm trying to get PAMCO ignition. The order was placed and paid, but no ignition arrived yet... Its a month now.. It should go to Europe, but it is way too long even counting the distance in. I was trying to get track and trace number from PamcoPete providing him my credentials and pyapal transaction number, with no luck. Pete stopped responding. I have my doubts about ever seeing either my ignition or my money. Anyone has similiar problems or is it just coincidence in my case?

Ive been waiting on a response about repairing my Pamco unit. Its been a month or 2 with no response... Ive gone back to points, but id really like the Pamco back!

SmokinXS:I checked my orders in house and they have all been shipped. I may have missed your Email, but try again and I will look out for it as I will need your name to track the order.
NewHavenMike: Are you still under warranty? If so, I will replace your PAMCO under warranty. Please try Email again with your particulars, including when you ordered the unit.

No reply here or by email since last time you showed up here, pamcopete. A friend of mine who ordered your product way later then me already has it home. Something must went wrong.

story continues...

I emailed @pamcopete i want my money back. No ignition arrived, i was unable to get a tracking number from him and still no luck of getting an answer. Seems like i have lost my money. Its like talking to a stone. Maybe he has a vacations or something, but this is not the way the business should be made.
Think twice when ordering pamco ignition

I'll go with newtronic ignition

story continues...

PamcoPete have sended me full refund today (1.6.2018) with no explanation.

Meanwhile newtronic ignition arrived and during its installation it showed up that the rotor part is badly fabricated and is hitting the sensors housing (I guess PamcoPete must now laugh very much:lmao:). Unbelivable :doh: My karma went wrong IMHO :) Luckily their customer support is friendly so far and meanwhile i will have a better "copy" of the rotor 3d printed. I Hope i will manage to run the bike some day :(

Last edited:
OK well I sent an Email to Pete@XS400ignition.com and got an "unable to deliver" message..

What is going on here? Ive been waiting since early March on a proper response here from Pamco Pete.

Dare I say..... gone rogue or what? Speak up Pete please.

Ill also add that I sent him a PM right after he responded in the thread and still nothing.

A friend of mine got an email from pamcopete@yahoo.com just recently and it seems also pete@yamahaxs650.com works. Pete is making many ignition systems (for CBs and such) so he might have another adresses as well. He most propably sell things (my friend got a kit with e-advancer two weeks ago - and was ordering this kit long time after my order has been placed (and paid)), but not responding to problematic customers?
Even mikexs site does not have his ignitions nowdays...

I am also trying to communicate with your patient but does not respond. I wrote a yahoo. I hope to buy the pamco for the xs 400 if I do not choose to buy a tci while the pamcopete appears because I am afraid to buy it. the page and that does not arrive product that is not easy to talk to the

Got the ignition. I placed a new order and had the parcel in two weeks. Hope it will work...

Last edited:
Back