New project. Where do I Start?

GreatestGatsby400

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all. I'm new to the community and am a first time buyer owner. I'm an engineer in the Coast Guard and wanted to put my skills to some good use at home. I bought a '78 Yamaha xs400. The engine doesn't run yet, but I have good spark and good compression as far as I can tell. I have two sets of carbs. One set was ruined by the previous owner. (pilot needle stuck). I'm currently soaking the other set in a solution and would like to carry on working on the bike. Where should I start? Electrical? Frame work? I'm just not sure. Can you guys help?

In my opinion it depends on what direction you are going. Personally, I went ahead and did my frame work first. I kept the factory wiring for ease of diagnosis and repair based on the resources available here. Looking back, I would have gotten the motor running first before I spent any time or money on how it looked. On the back side I would give you a word of advice...patience. These are old bikes that can give guy a real frustrating run. If you get stopped by an issue, stop and walk away for a minute. Calm yourself and re-think your plan of action. Good luck with your project.

Those were my thoughts as well. I figured getting the engine running first is my best bet. This carb issue has frustrated me quite a bit, but you're absolutely right. She's an old girl and needs a LOT of tlc. Thanks for the advice!

I agree with Pete. I had mine and that was the first thing I did was to get a motor running so I knew it was worth my time. No motor and well the bike doesn't move :D I do have a spare but maybe another bike someday........

Back