New to motorcycles...not sure where to go from here.

Vacantstance

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I recently came into the possession of a 1980 Yamaha XS400 Special. I changed the oil, cleaned the carbs and attempted to kick start it because the ignition is broken. It looked like someone started the bike with a screwdriver and as a result, it's gnarled up. I ordered a new one today. Did a compression test and although I don't recall the exact numbers, they were decent. I tested for spark...nothing, so I bought the Haynes manual and it's kinda disappointing so that's what's brought me here.

I have never owned a motorcycle but I know how to eliminate possible issues, so I basically grabbed my multimeter and tested the coils and both read in the mid 2.7 where it should be 3-5 and 8.3k where it should be 10k. I ordered "new to me" ones today. The starter/kill switch won't turn and the push button is missing...so I'm thinking I should order a "new to me" one. I was hoping to find an OEM one so that I don't have to wrestle with the wiring but they are in sparse supply. The few available used ones look worse than mine and they are weirdly expensive. I'm seeing the aftermarket ones EVERYWHERE and I'm wondering if I should just grab one of those and continue on this venture.

I have a week before the other parts arrive. What else should I be looking at right now while I'm waiting? OH! and how do I identify this bike? Is there a serial number on it somewhere? I ask because I bought a rear tire for a "1980 XS400 and it didn't fit. I wised up, tracked down the number off of the shredded tire that was on the bike and replaced it with no issue. I'm hoping this thing isn't too much of a Frankenstein.

Read post #4 for VIN locations
http://www.xs400.com/threads/2-vin-numbers.14765/

Reading your first paragraph confuses me. Your kick starting because the ignition is broken or because the starter will not crank the engine over?

You for sure have to correct the starter/kill switch issue before continuing to try and start the bike.
I'm kick starting because the ignition is broken. I haven't yet tested the starter. Can I just put power to it directly or will this damage something?

Ok, I thought you were kick starting because the starter system was not working.
If the ignition is broken or not working, kick starting the engine will not solve the problem.
2 basic reasons an engine will not fire up.
(1) The engine will not crank over because of a starting system issue, therefore it will not fire up even though the ignition and fuel systems are working fine.
(2) The engine will crank over but will not fire up because of an ignition or fuel system issue.

I have tested the starter on the bike by using a fully charged 12V battery and booster cables. This will crank the starter, if it's in serviceable condition, and bypass the rest of the start system.
Remove the 12V starter cable at the start solenoid. Connect the red booster cable to this cable and insure it is not contacting the frame in any way. Connect the other end of the red booster cable to the +ve terminal on the 12V battery. Connect the black booster cable to the -ve terminal on the 12V battery. Find a place on the frame that has no paint on it (like a bolt or a ground strap mount). Momentarily touch the other black end of the booster cable to this to ground the cable (you will see the cable end in you hand spark as ground is made, no worries). The starter should spin the engine over with the spark plugs in. The longer you hold the black cable end to ground the longer the starter will crank if it's good.

I received and installed the new ignition and the "new to me" starter/kill switch. I have taillights and a horn. Small victories....

I have tested the starter on the bike by using a fully charged 12V battery and booster cables. This will crank the starter, if it's in serviceable condition, and bypass the rest of the start system.
Remove the 12V starter cable at the start solenoid. Connect the red booster cable to this cable and insure it is not contacting the frame in any way. Connect the other end of the red booster cable to the +ve terminal on the 12V battery. Connect the black booster cable to the -ve terminal on the 12V battery. Find a place on the frame that has no paint on it (like a bolt or a ground strap mount). Momentarily touch the other black end of the booster cable to this to ground the cable (you will see the cable end in you hand spark as ground is made, no worries). The starter should spin the engine over with the spark plugs in. The longer you hold the black cable end to ground the longer the starter will crank if it's good.

Thanks so much for your help, Buddah! Too bad I didn't read it carefully enough.

I tested the starter WITHOUT disconnecting it from the solenoid and, because I didn't follow your instructions, I got nothing, so I pulled the starter out and bench tested it and it was fine. The o-ring was pretty flattened out so I'm going to replace it since I have it out, so it wasn't a total waste of time. I then tested the starter solenoid and sure enough, it's bad, so I'm replacing that.

Back