New to the community

Steven Gedman

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Today I traded my old snowmobile for a 1980 Yamaha xs400 and when I looked for some parts I discovered an entire freaking community devoted to this bike which is awesome because I might need some tips on taking care of it. It is the first street legal motorcycle I've ever owned and I don't want to screw it up. It currently has absolutely no front brakes and the rear brake shoes are completely shot but still are there. The reservoir for the front brake is cracked and does not hold brake fluid due to the previous owner dropping it and the shifter feels kind of like spongy? Only while upshifting. Any tips on how to make her pretty again would be greatly appreciated
Screenshot_20211005-225754_Gallery.jpg

Today I traded my old snowmobile for a 1980 Yamaha xs400 and when I looked for some parts I discovered an entire freaking community devoted to this bike which is awesome because I might need some tips on taking care of it.

Another one assimilated. Resistance is futile.

It currently has absolutely no front brakes and the rear brake shoes are completely shot but still are there. The reservoir for the front brake is cracked and does not hold brake fluid due to the previous owner dropping it and the shifter feels kind of like spongy? Only while upshifting.

If you have no fluid in the bottle, that's why you have no brake. You need a new master cylinder and a hose. I guarantee that hose is shot, given the condition of the bike. Might as well do a caliper rebuild, too. They have kits for that, it's a couple of seals.

Get a steel braided hose. They last literally forever and you don't lose braking feel over time.

Check the master cylinder bore size and get one same size. It's cast into it. Lots of smaller bikes use that size. I don't remember what it is and my current bike has no hydraulics. OEM brake reservoirs aren't available any more, as far as I know.

Shifters on these bikes tend to be a little spongy in general, but you might want to make sure your clutch is adjusted right. Do a search for the procedure, or download a manual.

Any tips on how to make her pretty again would be greatly appreciated

Make it mechanically sound before you start on pretty.

Does it run?

Welcome to the XS400 club!
Lots of great advice on here, although almost everything I've needed help with has been for the most part been covered. The search function is your friend as a lot of us are shy...
And JPaganel gives solid advice above. I did a bunch of "pretty" stuff and now I'm slogging through the muck figuring out what I still need.

Good Luck!

Back