New to the forum with an intro and the start of a 81 Special project-ish

mtnbikecrazy55

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Suprise Restoration project for my Father's birthday - 1981 Special

Hey all!

I'm a frequent on the XJ forums and my 1983 Maxim 750 is my baby, but recently have acquired an 81 Special that I'll be bringing back to life as a present for my dad. I wrote a bit for the XJ forum, so I'll copy that below this. I look forward to learning a thing or two from you guys and seeing all your sweet bikes and great ideas!

p.s. here's my maxim -

Here's from my trip this summer riding from wisconsin to cali and back, this picture taken while going over the north cascades in washington state:

So a little background here, if you're in the mood for a little story -

My dad had ridden a few bikes when he was younger, but never got his legit class M as back then he would just get his temps every year as it was only 5$ and i guess you could renew it as many times as you liked. So he's ridden, but hadn't for a longggg time. My grandpa gave him his moped when he bought another one, it being a 79' yamaha jog with 8000 miles on it, so it was pretty wore out and didn't have much life left in it. He would ride it to work which is only 3 miles from home, but other than that he couldn't really ride it anywhere in green bay without feeling like you're roadkill.

Anyway, around the time that i bought my maxim, it just so happened to be around the same time that his class d license needed to be renewed, and without even mentioning anything about it, when he went to do that he once again took the temps test and got his class M temp.

So i let him ride my bike home from school last year while i drove my car home, and when he got on the bike he smiled from ear to ear again just like he was 16 and driving for the first time. It was just so cool to see and i instantly knew that i needed to get him back on a bike.

But my dad being the frugal dawg he is, when i would mention it, he would always say "i'll get one someday". Well, he's 60 and cheap like me, and i knew that unless i did something, he would never get around to actually picking up a bike.

The thing being that my dad's legs are pretty short, i wanted to find a smaller bike as he doesn't need anything big, my 750 is way more bike than he needs, as he only rides around town and to work, and down to oostburg (1.5 hours or so) to visit his dad.

So I had my heart set on finding a 550 seca, and a while later, picked one up. I've been working on it ever since, but with school being more and more consuming the closer i become to graduation, and it turning from a "get it running, safe, and reliable" project to a frame up restoration/rejuvenation/resto-mod , I just dont have the time nor money to be able to finish the bike within the timeframe that i had wanted/planned to as a bike for my dad to ride. It will still be done, but i cant take the time to do it perfecty and exactly the way that i want to and still have it done reasonably soon for my dad to ride.

So then a while ago i picked up a bunch of bikes for the shop that i work at, one of which was this 81 XS400:

Fell in love with it, only 12k on the odo, 100% complete down to the tool kit minus a broken turn signal, and bent headlight brackets, and a roached front fender, and thought just how perfect of a bike it would be for my dad. Big enough to take down to visit his dad, but small enough for him to handle confidently and not be way overkill riding the 3 miles of 25&30mph roads to work.

Buttttt, only thing is it not having a title, so that kinda put the kabosh on that.

But while taking the seat off to list on ebay, i found a PO's registration papers from 2010 with his phone number, address, and believe it or not the guy's soc. security # on it, so my hopes were raised once again as if i could track the guy down then i could have him file for a replacement title and put on new tires, battery, go through the brakes, new pads, new ss line, new shoes, do the carbs, adj. valves, new plugs, fresh oil/filter, blade-style fusebox, just the basics of bringing it back to reliable and safe with a bit of elbow grease and have it back on the road within a few weeks.

Wellll, the guy wouldn't answer the phone, and i was starting to get bummed, but then saw another xs400 pop up on CL for 600$

So after some haggling and dancing with the guy on a price, i go look at it, take it for a little rip to make sure things are basically solid, and ended up talking the guy down to 360$ and rode it 40 miles home at 11pm last night.

Probably not the best idea with the tires and brakes, shot handlebar bushings, and all the other things that are toasted on it, but it made the trip and the engine ran like a top the whole time, and it shifts super smooth. I just couldn't afford to take the work truck to pick it up because that only gets 8mpg lol.

So anyway, here's the newest addition to the stable, an 81 XS 400.

The tank has a decent dent, and theres quite a few little things that need fixed, ins. panel lights, broken tank emblem, tach, smashed turn signal, PO lost the key and wired in a toggle switch, whoever put on the 2-1 ripped off the center stand, missing a mirror, but the plant is solid and its all there, plus, i just so happen to have access to a perfectly complete parts bike with all of those things on it that my boss is cool with me having, so it was a no brainer to pick it up. I plan on putting back on the stock pipes and center stand too obviously.

So here she is! I'll post more pictures as the progress continues, should all happen pretty fast!

Crazy thing, i stopped at the gas station to top it off before heading home and the odo read 19992.0 - and i was born in 1992. - wild.

anyways, here she is back home in the garage:

which is starting to look pretty good i must say :D

But the cx500 is for sale, 1500$ if you know anyone looking for a bike!
New tires, batt, oil/filter, carbs cleaned, new pads, front brakes rebuilt, all ready to rock! (small plug there ;) )

Just thought I'd share some of the excitement!

Chris

Last edited:
Welcome! I also enjoyed the pics and the story. I wish when I'm old I'll have a son like you, I'm sure your dad will appreciate this more than he will like to admit :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum Chris.

A beautiful NAKED Honda-Guzzi! Where were you when I was looking for something bigger than my sr250 last year? I'm surprised your Dad hasn't already laid claim to it.

He will like the 400 much more, however. I rode a couple of Honda-Guzzis and loved them at cruising speed, but, my elongation-challenged legs had to struggle more than I needed at stops and when parking/starting up.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

The maxim's not for sale ;)

So I called up my locksmith who does all of the key/lock related things for the shop, and he said it would be 35$ to cut a new key from the ignition.

I then had an idea to call the near-ish yammie dealer and see if they could cut me one from the code on the bottom of the ignition instead. Its a pretty neat shop because it's been around since 1966 and the owner/founder's son who is now in his late 50's is still a tech there and his dad who's 87 still comes into the office everyday, so when it comes to knowing about whats up with older bikes, they're always super helpful. They let me swap the shims for my maxim for free, so thats pretty rad.

Anyway, went there and the son cut me a key from the ignition code, was pretty hard to see and the first one we tried we cut a D instead of a C which is what it actually was, but he was super cool as always and I left with a brand new perfectly working key for only 10$ - way cheaper (and faster) than the locksmith!

Also, found the reason why the tach wasn't working, pretty obvious haha

More to come soon, spent the weekend making a few extra bucks replacing the wheel bearings in a friends prius, so that took up the garage for the weekend.

Welcome to the Forum Chris.

A beautiful NAKED Honda-Guzzi! Where were you when I was looking for something bigger than my sr250 last year? I'm surprised your Dad hasn't already laid claim to it.

He will like the 400 much more, however. I rode a couple of Honda-Guzzis and loved them at cruising speed, but, my elongation-challenged legs had to struggle more than I needed at stops and when parking/starting up.

haha you can always pick up another! :D

I agree with him liking/fitting the 400 much more, also much lighter for backing out of parking spots and the like, just overall much easier to handle all around.

Here was him on my maxim the second or so time he rode it:

Alright, so here comes a wrath of questions, hopefully you guys can hook me up with some solid info -

Am I correct in thinking that my bike would be an XS 400 S?

Next, I am just trying to track down the right replacement parts, and am looking for the right part numbers/specs/etc.

Below I will list what I have found, I just was hoping for some confirmation before I order everything.

There are Question marks on the parts that I'm unsure of what is correct.

Front Tire- 100/90-18 (Kenda Challenger)
Rear Tire- 130/90-16 (Kenda Challenger)
Front Pads- EBC-FA41
Rear Shoes- EBC-516
MC Rebuild kit - ?
Caliper Rebuild kit - ?
SS Front Line - ?
Chain - 530x102 (D.I.D)
Front Sprocket - ? Size? JT number?
Rear Sprocket - ? Size? JT number?
Throttle Cable - Parts Unlimited K28-4530
Clutch Cable- Parts Unlimited K28-2581
Spark Plugs - NGK BP7ES
Handlebar Bushings - ?
Valve stems - Size?
Ins. Panel Bulbs - ? -may be wiring issue, kind of odd that both tach and speedo back lights are out
Oil - I usually Castrol 4T in my maxim, what wt.?
Oil Filter - Fram CH6003
Air filter - ?
Wheel Bearings front - All balls kit 25-1311
Wheel Bearings rear - ? All balls kit number?
Steering Bearings - ? All balls tapered bearing kit 22-1007

Thanks so much guys!!

Posted via Mobile

Alright, so here comes a wrath of questions, hopefully you guys can hook me up with some solid info -

Am I correct in thinking that my bike would be an XS 400 S?
Think so, but not 100% sure. Check the vin# thread.

Next, I am just trying to track down the right replacement parts, and am looking for the right part numbers/specs/etc.

Below I will list what I have found, I just was hoping for some confirmation before I order everything.

There are Question marks on the parts that I'm unsure of what is correct.

Front Tire- 100/90-18 (Kenda Challenger)
Rear Tire- 130/90-16 (Kenda Challenger)
Front Pads- EBC-FA41
Rear Shoes- EBC-516
seems about right yes

MC Rebuild kit - ?
Caliper Rebuild kit - ?
SS Front Line - ?
They have the rebuild kits at mikesxs.net, and the SS front brake line is probably much needed. I believe you can get them custom made to length (which is not too expensive) so do a google search on the forum (top left search bar)

Chain - 530x102 (D.I.D)
good choice, I love DID.

Front Sprocket - ? Size? JT number?
Rear Sprocket - ? Size? JT number?
standard sizes are 16/37 or 16/39 depending on your model. Check what you have now, and consider getting a different ratio if you want to shave off a few rpm at high speed, for example. There are lots of threads on the forum about this, but it comes down to personal preference.

Throttle Cable - Parts Unlimited K28-4530
Clutch Cable- Parts Unlimited K28-2581
Spark Plugs - NGK BP7ES
seems alright

Handlebar Bushings - ?
Valve stems - Size?
Ins. Panel Bulbs - ? -may be wiring issue, kind of odd that both tach and speedo back lights are out
they have valve stems at mikesxs. The bulbs you can probably find at any bike shop, or online where ever. Not sure about those bushings.

Oil - I usually Castrol 4T in my maxim, what wt.?
wet clutch motorcycle oil, which ever flavor you like. There's a discussion about oil here. I used 10W40

Oil Filter - Fram CH6003
Air filter - ?
can get them at mikesxs

Wheel Bearings front - All balls kit 25-1311
Wheel Bearings rear - ? All balls kit number?
don't know

Steering Bearings - ? All balls tapered bearing kit 22-1007
don't know

Thanks so much guys!!

Posted via Mobile

you're welcome :thumbsup::D

Also, you seem to be doin alright already, but check out this thread for some info

Thanks Willem!!

Hopefully can swing by the shop before class tomorrow and order a decent chunk of what all i need so I can get her done before the snow's too deep to ride it home, was already flurrying today! :O

Thanks!

Bike is more or less on hold for a short time, my grandfather whom was the person who i looked up to more than anyone else in the world passed away unexpectedly last thursday and things have been crazy with all involved, and I have a pile of school-related responsibilities that i need to get taken care of first, as I know that both my father and grandpa would rather see me succeeding in school than making progress on the bike, even though my dad will love it.

Priorities priorities priorities.

I just thought I would drop in and give an update so that you all don't lose faith in the project!

I do have these pictures though -

So there was a big dent in the tank that i had/have confidence that will come out for the most part and look decent-ish for the time being before i can strip and bondo and re-spray the tank and side covers.

before:

First try was a cheap 2$ sink plunger -

And the lower part of the dent indeed came right out:

The plunger so far failed to pop out the upper dent, the plunger is getting enough suction, the issue rather being that the rubber part that actually creates the seal/suction kept popping off of the rest of the plunger(the billowed yellow part)

So once i find my gorilla glue, I'm going to try gluing the rubber ring to the yellow part of the plunger and then try again. If not, I'm sure that I can find some body shop that has a commercial vacuum type dent puller.

Otherwise, last resort being that i sand a small area down to bare metal in the center of the dent, then weld a small stud to that, pull the dent, cut/grind off the stud, and then take a little touchup paint to the area.

But i have a feeling if i do that, I'll just say screw it and re-paint the whole tank.

Time will tell, I'll hopefully be painting the tank/cowl/fender/side covers of my 550 seca this winter, and i figure if i have the gun out and the paint booth set up, i may as well paint this bike as well.

But that's a tad ways off still, as the frame's still in primer and i still need to decide just exactly how i want to go about painting the engine for the 550, or whether i'm going to paint it at all.

Mtnbike, sorry to hear of your loss...You have the right idea about keeping up at school:thumbsup:..We can wait on the bike rebuild...Have to say I enjoy the detailed pics you have posted. Spad

Thanks Spad, much appreciated.

Glad you like the pictures and that they aren't too overwhelming!

I made a bit of progress this weekend, nothing major but I was able to get into the garage for at least a couple hours this weekend, so I'll have another update shortly.

Back