New to the forum with an intro and the start of a 81 Special project-ish

Got just a tad more done, but probably will be done all over again, grrrr.

Reason being that I think the oil leak may be the clutch pushrod or the output shaft seals, so that means taking the chain and sprocket/etc off again.

But at the same time, now that I installed the center stand, it hasant been leaking, and when i reinstalled and torqued the front sprocket tight, I checked the other 5MM bolts on the case cover in front of it, and they all were loose and there was oil below them which it looks like it could have been leaking from there as well, but it could also be the ever so deceiving redistribution of a shaft seal leak.

To also check, those bolts have a 7.5ft/lb spec just like the 5MM cover bolts on my XJs?

Here are some pictures anyways though:

Also, this is a rubber from the headlight ears mount, correct? I found it on the floor near where I took off the front sprocket but I think its just a stray part that rolled off the parts bike, but I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something from behind the cover that I was unaware of -

That's it for now, about to order the last pieces I need to get it done and trailer it to the shop to throw it on the lift and go in power mode on it there to ride it home to my dad on the 16th as his birthday is on the 15th.

ALSO!! If anyone has a tach cable or clean chrome front fender, I am in need of those!!

Also, anyone have a good line on where to buy a custom SS brake line, need a shorter 34" line as since I was going to replace it anyway, I may as well get one that will fit better/perfect with the lower bars.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Right now I'm working on finding a battery, trying to decide between AGM and a wet cell, it's a kick bike and a small plant so I'm not toooo worried about getting a super crazy good battery, but I do realllly love the maintenance free aspect of a sealed batt and not have to even think about checking levels... but since it's is a chain bike and is something that could be made a part of chain maintenance, to check the batt. levels at the same time.

But I may have to just go the wet cell route anyway as I can't seem to find an agm that fits my battery box/tray/compartment from the line of AGM batteries that we carry at the shop. I put an AGM in my maxim and LOVE it, I'm sure never going back to a wet cell.

But then again my maxim would cook the batt. breakfast lunch and dinner, which I am assuming that the xs400 wouldn't do as where the battery is located on the XS should be cooler as well as It's a much smaller motor to turn over.

I also plan on buying him a battery tender to use to keep it topped off and healthy so it should be totally okay either way.

So this is the current shopping list:
- Battery
- Batt. Tender
- MC kit
- Caliper kit
- SS Brake line
- Fender
- Tach Cable
- Oil - *opinions wanted* I run Castrol 4T 20w50 in my XJ's
- I'll probably do carb kits too just for kicks because I'm swapping the intake boots from the parts bike anyways.
- Output shaft seal *probably
- Clutch pushrod seal *probably - it doesent seem to leake when it's parked on the center stand so if time is limited I may skip it. although if i swap engines, the parts bike has a bad leak... and is not running....hmm....

Also, where can I find a head gasket? Theres a exhaust stud snapped off on it but the parts bike's is not.... or.... could also swap the 12k mile engine..... hmmmmm.

Anyone know how long it takes about to pull the plant?

The shifter on the parts bike also felt a bit weird but i was figuring it to be a spring somewhere that I was going to look into when i pulled the clutch cover after draining the oil to change it. Is there a gasket there as well, or can I use just black rtv on both?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's a headlight bushing, yeah. Mine have the same square-circle design and are split in the same places.

Ha!! That's the same guy I got mine from! I ordered new banjo bolts too and they came with washers. Turn around was about a week. They look good, however I have not put them on the bike yet. Crappy weather!

clutch pushrod seals seem to be a common leaking point for these bikes. Have a search on the forum and you'll find many threads on it :(

as for the oil there are many ways to go, but I honestly think as long as it's suited for wet clutches and the temp rating is fitted for where you live, there's no wrong type you can get. Changing the oil regularly is more important imo, and I tend to postpone it more if I've used expensive oil last time. That's why I buy cheap now :)

good choice on the DID chain btw :thumbsup:

Ha!! That's the same guy I got mine from! I ordered new banjo bolts too and they came with washers. Turn around was about a week. They look good, however I have not put them on the bike yet. Crappy weather!

Sweet! Thanks guys!

What size and orientation did you guys get?

I'm pretty sure I need 12mm, 34" long, 22.5 deg fittings, and 12'oclock orientation. Sound about right?

I ordered for the rear 27" long 22.5 and 90 deg. at same angel for the front it depends on your bars set-up. I am going with dirt bike bars and they are a lot lower than stock. I ordered 34" long 22.5 and 90 deg. at same angel. I thought I found on here that the banjo bolt size is 10mm by 1.25, so that is what I got. I hope it's right because they are done and here.

I ordered for the rear 27" long 22.5 and 90 deg. at same angel for the front it depends on your bars set-up. I am going with dirt bike bars and they are a lot lower than stock. I ordered 34" long 22.5 and 90 deg. at same angel. I thought I found on here that the banjo bolt size is 10mm by 1.25, so that is what I got. I hope it's right because they are done and here.

Thanks for the heads up!

I shot him a text and he was super great to work with, and made it that day so that it would get here in time! Awesome service!!

I went with 34" long, 22.5 deg fittings, 9 o'clock orientation, 10mm, black sheathing, with four new crush washers. :thumbsup:

Hey all!

So I admit, I've not been doing as well a job of documenting my progress with pictures, but my dad's birthday was this week Tuesday and the plan has been to deliver the bike back home today, so it's been a frenzy of work!

Unfortunately the last two parts that I need have yet to show up, most importantly of those being the caliper rebuild kit which tracking says will be here tomorrow, so I'm stuck waiting another day for that to get here.

I went to the post office today though and told them to hold it there so hopefully I'll be able to pick it up right away in the morning and be on my way home before noon tomorrow.

So although the pictures are not as detailed as before, I do have a few I can share -

Time for new plugs - NGK BP7ES, gapped at .6mm

And plug caps - NGK LB05F

Brake Time!

Old plunger -

V.S new!

Back together -

Rockin -

Caliper -

And now I wait for the rebuild kit so I can get it back together -

Replaced the throttle cable too, good thing! Look what I found when I took off the old one!

The new one was defective, which sucks as I didn't realize this until yesterday when I was trying to put it on. The collar that held the part that enters the control was loose, allowing it to go into the control body further than normal which would cause the throttle to jam a bit. So for the mean time until I can replace it, I epoxied it and it seems to be holding strong. It's not under a lot of pressure so it should be completely okay, but once I can warranty the cable I'll throw in the replacement.

Also lubed up the clutch and throttle cables with this nifty invention my coworker made-

More to come soon!

Back