New to the XS400!

perattzi

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, looks like a great forum you've got here! So I am acquiring a 82 XS400 Special II for dirt cheap($100), but know nothing about them. Typically I don't go at all for the 'special' cruiser type of bikes. But... it seems I may be able to transform this thing into a bike I can get excited about. First question is: does the special like mine have the same frame/swingarm/forks as a standard XS400? I see many XS400 converted to cafes or trackers and they look great. I'm hoping that the special just has the slanted tank and smaller rear wheel to give it the cruiser look and the frame is really the same...please be true haha.

Anyhow, I am not new to Yamaha's...of the 2 stroke variety anyway. I spent the last 2 years building my little RD. Ill try and post up a pic! Thanks!

myrd-1.jpg

Last edited:
I love rd's would like to find one. Yours looks great. Oh, welcome!

nice bike Perattzi

welcome to de forum. the frames are different, but only slightly and you can get round it with a sawzall

post some pikkies up!

You GOTTA love an RD! I want one so bad i can't stand it!

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the replies! I haven't picked the bike up yet, probably within the next few days. It's my sisters boyfriends who has no use for it and was going to give it to me...but I said I had to give him something for it haha. Its ugly as sin but is in decent shape and it even starts right up! So what exactly are the differences in the frames? I am mostly concerned about the geometry...not so concerned about like say....the subframe or something. So whats the major differences? Thanks again. And yes the RD is a blast!!! I link up to a couple of vids I took of it. Huge project that was....rebuilt the whole motor...powdercoating etc.

nice sounding bumble bee!!! really nice bike. welcome to the forum, post some pics when you pick up the xs.

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you got a great deal. The '82 is nothing like the previous XS400s from '81 on back. You need help from someone familiar with this model. The majority of us here have XS400s earlier than yours but there are some new members recently with your type XS400.

OliverB thanks for the welcome.... the biek i am acquiring doesnt seem too different. Definite styling differences, but I plan to ditch the wheels, forks, swingarm, tank, and seat. So essentially I am going to convert the wheels and suspension to the 78 style...and use the motor, wiring, frame from the 82. Then fabricate/adapt a seat and tank. This is what it looks like(not actual bike):

82xs400_1.jpg

Ok so I picked the bike up tonight! A steal at $100 I must say. As you can see it is quite clean and only has around 4000 miles on it. The original owner decided to lower the rear by cutting off the original shock mounts on the swingarm, drilling new holes lower, and sticking a bolt with a shitty spacer through. Looks like they would snap any second haha! So a new swingarm is on the list, along with: ...new tank...seat...cast wheels and brakes for sure.

I rode it for just about 2 minutes and it needs some tuning for sure, not too worried. My first order of business will be to check the engine over and see if everything is ok then proceed with the makeover. Pics:

xsright.jpg

xsleft.jpg

xsmileage.jpg

Why can't I find a bike like that around me with a title for $100?:banghead:

I am a fan of the drums all around on spoked wheels. The big hubs polish up nice and there is no leaky, expensive master cylinder and brake rebuild kit to mess with. I can lock up the front and rear without a problem on my '78 :laugh:

Oh, I've also got a spare swing-arm off an '81. It's definitely bigger than the one on my '78 and it's painted red. No rust, etc. I was going to wait until my current project is done before selling all the extra parts at once, but I might change my mind :bike:

Clean bike dig the wheel set. I would keep the wheels and motor and start over what a great platform. I paid more than that for just a motor and it wasn't as clean as yours!! Great find.
I bet you can part out the rest of that clean bike and make a good deal of money on that bike to help fund the project.
Also, your place is great, helmets, bikes and couches!!

XSCHRIS-there are always RD's for sale in SOCAL. SHipping may kill the deal, but I can look for you if you're interested.

I see rd's around here but the ether have no papers or they want like $4,000 for them:doh:

Thanks for the replies guys! I was going to get the bike for free, but I was like 'I gotta give ya something for it'. So a $100 bill was agreed upon. Yes, an amazing deal. As for the wheels, if I were building a chopper/bobber I would keep them for sure...but I really love the cast aluminum wheels...and I want 18" front and rear for a cafe bike. As far as brakes, I love disc brakes...sure they cost more but you get waaaay better feel and less fade. Personally I think drilled disc setups look uber cool. On my RD I had to rebuild the caliper which was stupidly expensive, like $60 for 3 seals! But I was able to just buy a master cylinder from a 2004 R6 that happened to have the same diameter piston....and it only cost me $45 on eBay. It does have a drum in the rear, but the front does most of the work. Actually the first day I bought the RD i rode it around and was coming through a curvy parkway here in Cincinnati, and as soon as the road straightened(luckily) my rear wheel locked up solid! I thought I had seized the motor already, but what actually happened was the friction material on one of the rear shoes had come loose because the adhesive was so old, and jammed the rear brake solid. I fishtailed for like 30 feet :eek:

Also, I am building a Yamaha CT1 175cc 2 stroke track/race bike and the rules mandate drum brakes, so I am going to use the XS front for that. The bike is going to be a collaboration effort with my buddy who is obsessed with motorcycles but doesn't have one...so were gonna like share it.

Since you guys seem to like RD's here a few more pics haha...yep RDs are rad but expensive as shit to own and maintain...Ive got almost 2K in the motor alone :eek:
Still needs work...I gotta get some decent shocks, build an inner fender, finish the rearsets, get jetting exact, and fix the clutch b/c the basket came apart a couple of weeks ago. Luckily no damage from that.

bling-1.jpg

rdrear.jpg

rd_alley.jpg

Thanks. Yea that's the standard rear tire size. No need for a big fat tire on a bike like that. An RD350 is tiny...I love it. Trying to figure out if my bike has an electronic ignition from my couch??? Cant tell for sure...guess Ill just wait a few days and look at the bike.

Back