new to this and having problems diagnosing my front brake problem (Part 2)

Thecopsrcoming

XS400 Member
Reaction score
this is the continuation of my previous post http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11231

anyways, i ran out of time and the sun went down, but i woke up and i tried doing evertything i did the day before, more of that rust is coming out of those holes.... also im missing an adapter for my wrench and im broke at this point so i cant get the bolts off to check the master cylinder and properly clean it...so now i try pumping ALOOOOTTTTT with everything attatched and closed.... once again i hope that this isn't just pointless because my piston might be seized......as im pumping bubbles are coming up bigger so i feel like the air is being released through the reservoir and hopefully eventually ill be fine but i ran out of time and had to go to come back to brooklyn to go to work, by train :( so i tied down the brake lever hoping that for the next two days the bubbles will force themselves out over time and after a few hours of pumping and trying to bleed ill be able to regain pressure..... also i noticed that there is some black fluid coming from the lever,not enough to drip but i feel like the master is leaking.....

im going back saturday night with a master cylinder rebuild kit hoping that thats the problem....... cause i really dont wanna buy any more tools such as a new piston and a piston removal tool, or an air compressor or hand vacuum only to find out this couldve been fixed much cheaper and those things werent necessary, yes i am going to change all the seals this weekend, especially since im on a week to week budget and i wanna get started on rebuilding and enhancing, ill buy those tools when i get the bike back home. a syringe to attach to the bleeder screw, to try to suck out the air then use the syringe to force fluid into the line and caliper....

anyways, sorry its such a long post and hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice, also sorry its so disorganized and i may have wrapped around sentences or repeated myself but im just trying to give as much information as possible to isolate the problem to avoid spending unneccessary money. why pay someone $200 to fix my brakes and still not know what to do in the future, when i can learn to do it myself for 30-100 by just buying new seals and rebuilding them

my questions in a nutshell

1... if the piston is seized, and cant move back and forth can squeezing the brake still create pressure in the system?
2..... if there is any fluid coming out of the handle does that mean there is a leak in the master cylinder or is this just because some of it dripped in there during the process?
3....how much fluid should come out of the line when detatched from the caliper when i squeeze my brake? alot, as in like a water gun would squirt, or a tiny bit like an eyedropper would squirt drop by drop?
4....can someone show me a picture or a video based on the previous question^?
5... where can i find the right syringe that will have enough strength to suck out the air, and suck fluid through the brake system, and will a turkey baster work?
6.... should i give up and just pay someone to possibly do the job for way too much money or have to pay him anyways for him not being able to fix it and delay my rebuild process?
7.... is there anyone in the brooklyn or long beach, ny area that might be able to not fix it themselves, however id be willing to pay someone who isnt a designated mechanic to do it, but to tell me or walk me through the process?

i dont need someone to feed me i just need to be taught how to feed myself and its really hard to find people that know what theyre doing with these old bikes in my areas, and if they do half of them are real assholes and not very helpful

Thanks a lot for bearing with me, and i seriously appreciate any of the help that anyone can give

1... if the piston is seized, and cant move back and forth can squeezing the brake still create pressure in the system?
YES

2..... if there is any fluid coming out of the handle does that mean there is a leak in the master cylinder or is this just because some of it dripped in there during the process?
Could be either. Wipe away any and all fluid from the handle/master cyl, dry it with paper towel and pump again. IF you see more fluid, master cyl probably needs rebuild.

3....how much fluid should come out of the line when detatched from the caliper when i squeeze my brake? alot, as in like a water gun would squirt, or a tiny bit like an eyedropper would squirt drop by drop?
Around half a thimble full.

4....can someone show me a picture or a video based on the previous question^?
Sorry, no picture.

5... where can i find the right syringe that will have enough strength to suck out the air, and suck fluid through the brake system, and will a turkey baster work?
Doubt a baster will work. Brakes can be bled without a bleeder device, it is just a touch harder: Fill MC with fluid. Loosed nipple on caliper. Pull in handle all the way and KEEP IT THERE. Tighten nipple just snug enough to keep air from flowing into nipple when you release the handle. Release the handle. Repeat until there are no bubbles in the fluid coming from nipple.

6.... should i give up and just pay someone to possibly do the job for way too much money or have to pay him anyways for him not being able to fix it and delay my rebuild process?
If you don't do it yourself you will never learn and always be at the mercy of "experts".

7.... is there anyone in the brooklyn or long beach, ny area that might be able to not fix it themselves, however id be willing to pay someone who isnt a designated mechanic to do it, but to tell me or walk me through the process?
I'm in SNJ or I'd stop by and help.

Back