1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New to XS member, project bike excited to wrench

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buztabuzt, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Aside from being ungodly grimy, the old stator wire sheathing became incredibly sharp + brittle over time and seems likely to cut into wires. Went to junkyard to salvage anything I could and thinking I'll use this style wire protector as that was really all I could find in an appropriate size, hoping it will stand up to heat and grime under oil pan and around chain:

black-split-wire-loom.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

buztabuzt likes this.
  3. Thanks B B S. Ordered replacement sheathing from cycle terminal and seems an OEM equivalent.

Wired back up and plugged in the harnesses again. Now just need to redo drum brakes and fire back up for carb synch. Can someone post a picture of how the underside wiring is routed from the stator? Looks like it goes briefly under the oil pan/crankcase before coming back up behind center stand. Not sure if there's any better way to minimize it on underside of motor...

4. What do you think of my brake shoes? They're sticky so I'm looking to fix that and do any other improvements. I have now sanded out a bunch of the debris and gunk but They are not disengaging freely (stuck open), but the springs look nice and taught at rest... Appreciate any thoughts.

Is it normal for drum brakes to not snap back with the vigor of discs?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019