New Toy.. Atlas 12x24 lathe!

Travis

Forum Staff
Staff member
Reaction score
I just picked this up yesterday. It's an Atlas 12" x 24" lathe from the early to mid '60s. It weighs over 500 pounds with the stand so I used my engine hoist to get it in and out of my truck. This one has the quick change gear box for threading and power feeds, and a quick change tool post. It's an under-drive unit which I like because it saves some space. This is my first lathe and I'm pretty excited to start using it! :bike:

Attachments

• atlas12x24_01.jpg
    atlas12x24_01.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 309
  • atlas12x24_02.jpg
    atlas12x24_02.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 322
  • atlas12x24_03.jpg
    atlas12x24_03.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 336
  • atlas12x24_04.jpg
    atlas12x24_04.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 291
Hey Travis

Nice find I have a logan about the same size. I'd love to find a little hardinge though. Does it have a leather belt on it still. Mine just broke last year. I had a shop around my place make me a new one cheap so I didn't have to pull the spindle.

Shaun

Shaun, No leather belts on this one, just rubber v-belts. Attached is a picture of the pulley system. There are two pulleys on the motor and four on the left side to make 8 speeds and with the back gears you get 16 total.

Attachments

• img44.gif
    img44.gif
    47.2 KB · Views: 312
oh cool well thats good. Mine uses a flat belt on a crowned pulley to the spindle. V-belts down below though. Now you just need to get yourself a mill :) . My lathe was my fathers he had it when I was growing up. I was the only 12 year old that could run a lathe around my house. I picked up a bridgport mill about 8 years ago. I love that machine. Picked up a small surface grinder last year don't use it much just always wanted one.

Oh hey I'll email you that money through paypal. I'm trying to stay focused on the online course I'm doing. I probably shouldn't be working in front of the computer, ADD.

Shaun

Back