Newbie checking in

mortonc

1981 XS400 (4G5)
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here looking for any pointers and to run a few ideas past everybody.

I'm 22 living in the south of England, recently graduated in need of some excitement and a project! Used to own an RS50 as a teenager but haven't ridden since. Just bought myself an 81 XS400 hoping to cafe it a bit.

I don't have a hell of a lot of experience with motorcycles so please excuse my naivety, just thought I'd dive headfirst into a project and learn on the way.

I'd like to do a front end swap, from what I've read on here an RS125 seems to be the jobby.

I'd like to keep the wheels of the XS400 (nice spoked ones) so aside from getting a lower bearing for the RS125 front end what would be required of me?

Any suggestions for tyres?

Aside from that what should I look out for with the new bike and any things that should take priority?

125 forks work well, it just so happens that the geometry of the Aprilia parts blend with the 400.

There is a lot more to it than just a bearing swap, so read up a bunch. 4 or 5 of us have done it and documented on this site. If you are keeping the XS rims, you will need to rig up axle spacers to line everything up center in the RS forks. You will also have to make a decision on brakes, both of which require handy work and compromises. You can either reuse the XS caliper and disc, or use the RS caliper and fit a modern disc. If you go with the old caliper and disc, you will have to machine a mounting adapter that will put the caliper back into the proper position on the disc. If you go with the Aprilia caliper (which I recommend) you will have to find a disc with the proper offset (you can only get so close) and then use a spacer on the hub to get it centered the rest of the way.

Just be warned that with the RS forks, you now put the bars in a very uncomfortable position. Do it right, and move the feet back and up. Either way, your wrists are going to hate you unless you get clipons with a 4-5 inch rise.

Avons are always my recommendation when fitting 18's.

Back