Newbie to Bikes, and XS400

fR3ZNO

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Picked up a 81' XS400 a few weeks ago from my dad's friend (for the best price, free). It had been sitting awhile, but, it only has 9000 miles on the odometer. Started tearing into it right as I got it home before I took any pictures, haha.

I have been using this forum a lot for information, been very helpful (like the free manuals you can download in the sticky :))

As I said, I'm new to bikes, but I have been wrenching on cars for quite some time. I'm a younger guy, still in school for Engineering.

Thankfully, my dad had wrenched on quite a few bikes in his time, so he a bit of knowledge as well.

Hope to get it running soon, so far, I've replaced all the main wear items and maintenance including rebuilding the carbs (never done that before! used to fuel injection hehe)... still waiting on some o-rings I need to finish that up. But, it's been fun so far, always looking forward to getting home and wrenching on it.

Look forward to riding it, as I have never rode a motorcycle before!

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Hi and welcome!

Nice find, free is the best price. Looks like you've got yourself a very complete and original bike.

if you're looking for some help on things you can't find in the manual, look here. Good luck and keep posting updates ;)

Thanks for the link! I have been slacking on posting updates. I've been mainly just waiting on different parts to get here and installing them.

So far:

- new throttle cable
- grips
- carb rebuild kit (more on that later)
- brake master cylinder
- caliper rebuild kit and new stainless piston
- spark plugs, wires, and caps
- speedo/tach assembly
- oil change
- adjusted valves
- put battery on charger

I probably would have got the bike running this past weekend, but the carb rebuild kit I got from MikesXS was the wrong one for my bike. It was listed to fit 80-82 400's, but the needle valve and seat that comes with it are for a 79 and before. [headbang] Pretty annoying, why list fitment on a kit if only a few of the parts fit? I was only able to use the gasket and main jet crush washer... stupid.

Cart.jpg

Thanks!

Yeah, just learning the hard way, I guess. Ended up getting a set of needle valves separately since mikesXS is dragging their feet on resolving my problem. They just basically said that the part number of their kit corresponds to the needle valve for a 79 not an 81 like mine and then never got back to me. Eh, whatever.

Anyways, got the bike started tonight after I popped in the needle valves. :) Still needs some fine tuning. Got a build a vacuum syncing rig along with some other things.

First Start

Last edited:
Sounds great when it comes to riding her you learn fast.I remember when I got my xs I had never riden a big bike either.I hopped on it on day and said to myself lets try this out.the shifting of the gears was so much easier than I expected..Looks you didn't take any time cleaning her up either.:)

The XS is supposed to be a big bike? Haha. Yeah, shifting on a bike seems to be a bit easier than on a car. Just click up and down haha. I work fast!

So got the bike together to go for a little ride, and it still has a few kinks to work out.

- bike only starts connected to charger, once charger is removed, voltage at battery slowly falls from 10 to about 5 volts and then dies. Picked up a new battery will throw that n tomorrow. I know voltage should be around 14 when running, so I'm not sure if it's just the battery or there's an issue with alternator as well. :(

-brake handle is still a little spongy, not sure if it's the aftermarket eBay MC or air in the lines. Stops the bike but not very confidence inspiring.

-something's up with the throttle cable. Idle does not stay constant. If you wiggle the cable, the idle changes. Tried adjusting locknut, that seemed to help slightly. What's the difference between the idle screw at the carbs and the one on the throttle cable?

Also, is some valve noise normal when running?

Take the throttle cable completely off and spray a pubricate that doesn't dry.Spray it down between the sleeve and cable and just keep working it back and forth.Its probably got corrosion in it from sitting
Make a soundtube of the bike running and we then can determin if the theres too much valve lash.A little bit of clatter noise is normal.

The throttle cable is actually brand new. I didn't have it routed correctly, I also had to adjust the idle screw and the adjuster near the handle. Now I can turn the handlebars back and forth without the bike revving. haha. I also put some lubricant down the cable as well and worked it through.

Been looking around on eBay for a regulator rectifier combo unit and after doing some searching with Yahama part numbers, seems like this will work...

Clicky Click

Found the same thing from other sellers for $89 w/ free shipping!

Yamaha PN is 1L9-81970-60-00

Matches the info given on this page: Clicky Click

Having some issues wiring up the RR. That one link says the ESR350 should fit the xs400, but the connectors on the new RR are male, where they should be female... Ended up dyking the connector off and splicing in my original one, and then used spade connectors on the wires that go to the regulator. The new RR has only two wires for the regulator portion but the original used three wires. The one missing is the black wire. I believe that is ground. Got everything hooked up and the bike still won't charge. Uuugghhhhh

Finally got the bike running AND charging now. Turned out one of the wires on the new reg/rec were messed up. In other news, finished the BRC course last weekend. Then I went to the DMV today and got my motorcycle license! Woohoo!

Welp. I'm pretty sure I just killed my bike. The engine siezed on me while I was taking it for a little spin down the road. Tried to move the kick start lever when I rolled it back a 1/4 mile to my house, nothing. :banghead: :(

Looks like I'll be doing a rebuild this winter. :mad:

Here's a gif to help get my anger across:

GIF-bang-head-frustrated-frustration-Losing-It-mad-unstable-GIF.gif

My dad did mention that he thought he heard some sort of bottom end knock, I swore that it sounded like normal top end valve noise to me. Guess not...

Thanks, everybody. Haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. I have been thinking of just picking up another XS400 for parts and to swap the engine over just to get mine running for now and then rebuild the engine later.

Finals exams are next week, so hopefully I'll be able to start dismantling it after I'm all done.

Saw this on the Velocity channel this morning.

Classified Moto

Bike they built:
honda-xl600-classified-moto-2a.jpg

Not usually a huge fan of cafe racers, but this one looks awesome. They built it for the Katee Sackhoff, you know who I'm talking about if you've watched Battlestar Galatica before.

honda-xl600-classified-moto-5.jpg

There's something about a lady who rides a motorcycle. :)

Update after my long hiatus. [emoji16]

So, on a whim, I started looking around Craigslist for a replacement engine. I stumbled upon a complete 1980 XS400SG about a hour and a half away from me. Texted guy about the bike for a little bit, I can tell he wants it gone.

Out of nowhere, he says I'll do $350 tonight. lol. Mind you, it's 9:30pm and he's an hour and a half away. He then offers to drive it out to me and changes his mind because, "my buddy and I have been drinking a bit, probably shouldn't". lol. He mentions he's interested in trading video games stuff and cash as well. Thankfully, I've got a 360 and a few games collecting dust. So we ended up settling on $300 plus my Xbox and he's coming out on Monday since we're both free.

Not too shabby, if I may say so myself, considering all the sellers on eBay want ridiculous money for XS400 engines, like $400-600 plus shipping. [emoji15]

But, $300 cash for a running, complete bike delivered to me? I'll take it. [emoji481]

Moral of the story? Text people about Craigslist ads on Friday nights, they might be a little drunk.

One negative, is that he lost the title (he's the legal owner), and since its President's day on Monday, we won't be able to go to the DMV to get a replacement. So depending on what happens, I might just use the engine out of it and keep the rest for parts, maybe sell a few. Otherwise, I'll keep this one and ride it while I rebuild the engine out of my '81.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424190594.538866.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423885349.288894.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423885349.288894.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Back