newbie with questions

Oskar

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, been lurking here for a while, and just wanted to introduce myself. I have an 81 that I started to make into a Brat-style about 10 years ago because my wife wanted to ride.
Got it on the cheap, and started hacking. Needless to say a few things have gone missing over the years, but all the major parts are still here. Also missing are some of my original all plans for the bike, but I hope I can make it up as I go along.
My wife has expressed interest again, but I have an ulterior motive this time. If she backs out, I'm finishing it for me!
Here is the plan, lower the seat height, lower the front shocks, and shorter rear shocks. If it was just mine I would just hard tail it, but compromises need to be made.
The air box is among the missing, so hello pods. Pads and shoes are in order, and new rubber.
Right now it is bare frame, and I need to make some measurements before cutting the upper shock mounts and seat support off. No pictures yet, but I will take some, and keep notes as I go along. Lots of cleaning and polishing too.Carb rebuilds, paint,wiring,fenders as well. Should keep me busy for a while. She is vertically challenged at 5'2" so that is the reason for the seat/shock/frame mods.
Of course if she bails again, look for a suicide shifter and some higher rise bars!
I suspect I might be "the old guy" on the forum at 47, but have some sympathy, I will try to keep up!
As an aside, I spent my first 35 years as a auto mechanic, and will try to help with any questions if I can.
For a quick intro I typed way too much, but I'll be back with briefer questions, and thanks for the help in advance.

Honestly, with a low custom seat alone you could probably leave the rest of the bike alone. Mine was very low when I put on a relatively thin seat. I may be 6'1" tall, but I had a good 6 inches or more between the seat and my crotch when I stood on my flat feet and straddled the bike. The stock seat/pan adds like a 8" to the bike :laugh:

If you can, throw the wheels on and side stand and have her straddle the bare frame to see where you're at.

Welcome to the forum:) A lot of people use honda rebel shocks to lower the bike. I think they are only 10" compared to the xs's 12.5"

bcware, Already tried the remove seat option and still a no go. The frame needs to drop. The shocks are old and leaking anyway, so if I have to replace them I might as well go shorter there too.
Before I cut i was thinking about what measurements I should make to keep the geometry close. I'm thinking width between frame at shock mounts, swingarm height from ground, distance from steering head to new shock mounts at height.
I think with a shorter shock, I can increase the shock angle and gain lower position for the seat. Anybody see what I am trying to say?
bcware, I noticed you are in Epsom, in web terms that makes us neighbors doesn't it?

Hi. Sounds like an interesting build should be a bit of fun and a bit of head scratching! Just thought I'd mention about the rebel shocks as I've fitted them on my build they do slam the rear quite a bit plus I cut out my seat rails and welded in some bent ones not for ease if riding but more for the look I'm after, only mentioning this as I'd reccomend trying the shocks on before hacking the frame or moving shock mounts etc as the 2.5" difference is quite a difference once there fitted. Good luck and get some pics in here for us!

Jonesy, thanks to getting what I was trying to say! I will do a mock up first, if only to see if what's in my head is possible. After stripping it this weekend, the first order of business is to build a bench to raise it off the ground, level it side to side, and fix the swingarm into position. Then maybe I can get some idea of how low I can chop the seat rails, and where the shocks will fit.

If you look at my previous threads there's some pics of mine with the rails done I managed to cut them out and replace them whilst keeping the original shock mounts might give you an idea

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting build. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

At 47 you are still a spring chicken. The important age is how old you feel. Me, I still feel 18 but I got my first bike when you were 3.

I guess that makes me a whippersnapper then!

Jonesy, thanks for the steer towards your build. I think we are heading in similar directions. I put a bid in on ebay for some Rebel shocks, they may ride a little rough, but the alternative is a hard tail so.....

Today's adventure...removing the clips inside the forks. By using the bar and socket method I managed to get them out but...
One side is rusted in place. I have it soaking in PB blaster at the moment, but if that doesn't work,I am thinking about drilling and tapping the cover.
I think I can use a fender washer on top, and run a bolt thru to get it moving. When done I can Teflon tape a set screw to seal it.
Anybody see a problem in doing this?

If you were able to depress the cap to get the retaining clip out, you should be able to get a small wire brush on a rotary tool (aka Dremel) in there and remove the rust. The spring should be able to do the hard work of pushing out the cap once the rust is gone.

Mine were rusted in place too. After soaking, I put a socket on top of the cap and whacked it with a hammer to loosen it. The spring did the rest of the work.

Mine were rusted in place too. After soaking, I put a socket on top of the cap and whacked it with a hammer to loosen it. The spring did the rest of the work.

Thats the hope, along with cleaning out the rust, but I am anticipating the worst! In the meantime, it is under spring pressure, soaking, with a cup taped over the top in case it decides come out on it's own.

Back