Newby's First of many Questions

Mattalica

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 81 XS 400 special. It has been sitting for 26 years. The guy I got it from said an exhaust valve is stuck not allowing the motor to spin. What would be the first thing you guys would do? Complete motor rebuild? The bike only has 8,000 miles and the oil looks good. I know I have many other things to replace but the motor is first priority. Thanks in advance.

Welcome, remove the valve cover and examine the valves from the top, look for the stuck valve or whatever it is. Then you will be able to remove the camshaft and separate the head from the cylinders. All of this can be done with the engine in the frame.

Once you remove the camshaft, you should be able to turn the crankshaft. This will verify that it isnt seized. Squirt some oil into the cylinders before doing this though so you dont score the cylinder walls.

You can take the valve assembly cover off and you will have direct access to the valve springs. I used a shot of pb and then use a block of wood and whacked it with a hammer til it unstuck

Back