Nice XS400 chop from Japan

Hey sgrudier when you figure out what your going to do let me know. This bike is exactley what i have in mind for my '80 xs400. The only thing i have been debating is where im going to cut the frame, it would be so much easier if my frame was like this tono one. any info helps. glad to see the xs400 site. now all we need is a mikesxs400 website

how long is that swingarm stretched? looks sick. plannin on doin that on my 78. i also wanna put the dohc head and cylinders on it. think it would work?

the whole rear sub frame was cut off and re-built. If you look close you can see the section in the pics that is still raw steel. Because of that it looks like the swing arm has been extended but it's not.
The knocking forward of the rear shocks tricks the eye visually

Here is another gem

red+and+white.jpg

Billy, If you look in pics 8, 9, 10 or 11, you will see that the swingarm was extended about 1" or so. It is the area near where the shocks mount. The metal is raw.

I really like the pic you posted. Are you familiar with the bike? Do you know the sizes of the tires? I really like the look. Thanks!

The almighty and super must have trendy tire of the year.
Firestone deluxe 4X18 front and rear matching.

I think this is a Gravel crew bike if i remember correctly.

Absolutely amazing work my man, very inspiring!!...Dumb Question Alert!!! I'm working on my own XS400 and I'm just wondering, after the air boxes are changed to pods and carbs jetted....where can I mount the battery?!?! Or do I just get a different batt set-up? I wanna put in a sort of saddle seat but WTF do I do with the juice box??
-newbie Joe-

came across these photos on an image search in yahoo and just had to join and comment! great work man! i'm buyin my first motorcycle TODAY(xs400) cant wait to take her for a ride and eventually fix'er up a little

From the looks of the photo that tail end on Tono's was chopped off, modified, and then welded back on. You can see the shiny metal where the welding was done. This is common when people put hardtails on a chopper or bobber.

Back