1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

No fuel?? 82 maxim dohc 400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by krazyt, Jul 23, 2012.

1. krazyt

krazyt XS400 Member

Carbs have been cleaned very well by myself, it will start with starting fluid. It will also start and stay running when I blow the fuel into the carbs. I am assuming the vacuum assist from the petcock is not allowing gas to be pushed into the carbs? Any ideas? Do I just need a petcock rebuild? Thanks!! :wtf:

2. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

check the vacuum hose to the petcock isn't split

3. krazyt

krazyt XS400 Member

I did replace that already. I also tried going off the other carb intak boot without any luck

4. jmd_forest

jmd_forest Bldg 1980 XS400 Cafe Bike

Turn the petcock to PRI to bypass the vacuum control. Pull the fuel line from the carb and verify fuel is flowing. Also, the float levels may be set wrong and not allowing the fuel to enter the float bowls or the floats may be "stuck" shut.

5. HoughMade

HoughMade XS400 Guru Top Contributor

The vacuum petcock does not "suck" fuel in or blow it in. The vacuum simply opens a valve and the fuel flows by gravity.

6. domains

domains Banned

The xs400 petcock was invented by a dick. bypass it on reserve and plug tube if you really want to have fun.

maybe it works tho.

and that Chinese labling whois the nut that thought of that and no arrow on younger models

place tank line in a cup and start bike to see if its flowing... be carfull :)

7. fusion1962

fusion1962 XS400 Member

If bike starts with starting fluid and you know fuel is flowing to the carbs, your carbs are the problem. Ultrasonic clean them with carbs split and totally disassembled. Replace internals with good rebuild kit. You will be glad you did.