No fuel?? 82 maxim dohc 400

krazyt

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Carbs have been cleaned very well by myself, it will start with starting fluid. It will also start and stay running when I blow the fuel into the carbs. I am assuming the vacuum assist from the petcock is not allowing gas to be pushed into the carbs? Any ideas? Do I just need a petcock rebuild? Thanks!! :wtf:

Turn the petcock to PRI to bypass the vacuum control. Pull the fuel line from the carb and verify fuel is flowing. Also, the float levels may be set wrong and not allowing the fuel to enter the float bowls or the floats may be "stuck" shut.

The vacuum petcock does not "suck" fuel in or blow it in. The vacuum simply opens a valve and the fuel flows by gravity.

The xs400 petcock was invented by a dick. bypass it on reserve and plug tube if you really want to have fun.

maybe it works tho.

and that Chinese labling whois the nut that thought of that and no arrow on younger models

place tank line in a cup and start bike to see if its flowing... be carfull :)

If bike starts with starting fluid and you know fuel is flowing to the carbs, your carbs are the problem. Ultrasonic clean them with carbs split and totally disassembled. Replace internals with good rebuild kit. You will be glad you did.

Back