No neutral after rebuild

Andy L

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

after splitting the crankcase twice, I managed to get everything back together and the bike running successfully (aside from leaking cam seal i need to address).

However, I cannot get it into neutral. The light comes on over a couple of gear changes (I haven't actually ridden yet), but it is most definitely not in neutral. I can't get it when the bike is off, either.

The clutch seems fine to me...I lubed up the cable, the play feels right, and it engages/disengages as it should.

I'm about 90% sure I messed something up with the gear clusters/gear change forks when putting things back together (I didn't actually disassemble anything in the transmission), but I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions for where to look before I, once again, need to pull everything apart.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I have since re-split the crankcase.

When I have the lower half with just the gearchange drum/shift forks, I am unable to cycle through the shifts properly. It feels like there is resistance coming from somewhere, but I can't really see anything preventing the shifts.

I know the forks can become bent, but i don't see how this would be an issue when they aren't actually contacting the actual gear clusters.

Any thoughts before i take this apart?

Thank you!

Let me try a different approach:
Should I be able to cycle through all of the shifts when it is in this state (see photo, it's just the drum/forks in the lower crankcase), because right now I can't?

It seems like the shift fork pegs hang up a bit, but i don't know if this is supposed to happen without the actual gears being in place.

Thanks agian!

Attachments

• 20220531_100937_resized.jpg
    20220531_100937_resized.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 126
I'm afraid I can't offer advice for the transmission issue, but I can suggest an alternate cam seal. When I did my top end rebuild, I had a hard time locating a yamaha specific seal, but after measuring everything, I found Honda used the same size seal for a wheel bearing on a dirt bike and they can be bought cheap off eBay. It's 23mm inside diameter, 35mm outer diameter and 5mm thick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254130604837?hash=item3b2b5d4b25:g:ZDMAAOxy4YdTRD8J

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder about this! I have since sorted the issue out.

For anyone experiencing the same thing, I split the crankcase again, and was able to get the change drum into proper neutral position. It takes some manipulation to get it there.

Then I just moved the transmission gears around until i found what should be neutral. Put everything back together, and after putting in the new seal (https://www.avxseals.com/) and some fine tuning, it's been running like a champ.

Thanks again!

Back