1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

No spark on the spark-plugs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thomas Nilsson, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Thomas Nilsson

Thomas Nilsson XS400 New Member

Sweden
    Hi!
    I bought a Yamaha XS400 12e 1983 last year and it was running fine but needed service and new sealings in the front fork..
    The old battery was not keeping the power so I had to buy a new one but when I tried to start the bike it will not start...?
    The starter is running fine and I've checked the fuses under the seat and it looks good.
    When I checked the spark plugs there is practically not any spark ( a fade spark every ten seconds maybe......:-( )
    Are there anyone that has got any idea? Is it the CDI-box?
    /Thomas

2. JPaganel

JPaganel XS400 Addict

Could be a number of things.

Start with cheap and simple - check battery cables, connections at the starter solenoid, grounding points, connectors to the coils and CDI. Look for corrosion and cruddy wiring. Make sure everything is clean and tight.

Check coil resistance - manual tells you how.

Are your high tension wires any good? Maybe replace them. How do plug caps look?

A CDI can't really be tested without a bunch of special equipment. If you have a spare, you can swap it in to see if it makes any difference, but that's kind of a last resort. So, you check everything else first.