Non-adjustable timing???

Under Dog

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Well, we were going to make sure the timing was properly adjusted, but just found out we don't have points on this bike.

The manual would tell us to make sure the timing is fully advanced at a certain RPM. Unfortunately, our tach doesn't work. Do I need to be picky about this setting? Or can I just rev up the engine and make sure I'm advance while revving the bike? Is there another way to set it?

You should be able to set the static timing and if the advance weights are free and the parts are all there, you should be OK.

Well... we pulled out an old school timing light and gave it a go. Had a good time teaching my son how to use it. I think he was more fascinated with how the light worked than getting the timing on the bike right, but whatever...

The timing was pretty far advanced at idle, and way too advanced under throttle. It was fun to hear the sound of the bike settle down to a low rumble as the timing was brought back to spec. Except for an occasional pop in the carb (which we are still chasing down), this thing is coming along nicely!

Thanks for the help.

Back