Normal noise from clutch

suffolkboy

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi ! All :)
I purchased a rather sad xs 400 se 1980 in november 13 and have spent the winter working to restore the old girl as near to original as possible.
On Saturday I got her started for the first time and she seems to run o.k.
My question is are all the clutches prone to rattle a bit I am waiting for a new clutch cable to arrive so don't know at this stage if clutch actually works but when I had the right hand side engine cover off I tried it then and the plates separated alright.
Any clues would be helpful as I don,t want to put it all together to take apart again, and I have spotted a complete clutch assembly on ebay and am wondering if I should buy it.
I will post some before and after photo's asap. :bike:

My clutch does not rattle at all. The cable should be under a small amount of tension even when you aren't squeezing the lever. The worm-drive rod-pusher also has a small spring attached to it which should keep it from moving as well.

There is a spacer that should be present on the front sprocket cover. See the attached photo.

Are you sure the sound is from the clutch? Does it make a noise when the clutch lever is pulled in? Does it make a noise when the clutch lever is at rest and not being used?

Attachments

• 0302141612.jpg
    0302141612.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 277
so i have the same issue but it is on a 1977 yamaha dt400d. the clutch or ? makes a loud noise, chatter, bearing, ????? if the clutch handle is pulled in the noise stops. also it was hard to shift prior to noise. what i did following up to the noise was adjust my cable to allow a 1/4" gap at my handle before that i had all the playout of the cable, not to tight just no play. any ideas. sorry for hijacking.

side note i joined this site to read up about a 1980 xs400 i just picked up on a trade. very good info.

so not sure if this helps but i was talking to a guy at work who was a yamaha tech in the mid 70's he said that my steel disk may be wrapped. may be a good place to start on your bike. ill update if this is my problem.
a good way to check wrappage is with a piece of granet or glass and a feeler gauge. actually there is a good video online for this.

The warped steel discs can cause problems to be sure, but I wouldn't think a rattle. These discs are under constant pressure from those beefy clutch springs. Let me know if you make any progress. I've been wrong before :p

So I have now fitted the new clutch cable and the clutch seems to work o.k. the noise I was concerned about is definitely less when clutch is held in with the lever.
I ran the bike on the center stand and was able to engage all gears, I am now wondering if it may just be lack of use and maybe things will settle down when I am able to road test.
The guy I bought her from told me that she had not been used for several years although he had owned the bike since 2003.

That's good news! Who knows, maybe just taking things apart and putting them back properly fixed the issue.

Back