Now that it's running, some issues

Mickey85

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I've clocked about 100 miles on the bike, mostly around town driving, but some highway. RPM kinda freaks me out in top gear, but I'm used to a big vtwin on the highway, so 6200 rpm at 60 is a bit of a freak out...

Anyway, lately, I've noticed a hanging throttle between shifts and if I rev it while stopped, but it pulls down while decelerating. Further, the idle while hot is way low. The pilots were set at 3.5 turns. I know, this sounds lean, but according to the trip odometer, I got about 35 mpg, so I'd be tempted to say it's not lean.

Also, I changed the oil, as the oil I had in it (rotella 15w40 diesel oil) was probably contaminated and the oil filter needed changed anyway, so I went with a Castrol motorcycls 20w50 synthetic blend as I wanted to go with a thicker oil (i get paranoid about air cooled motors). After I changed the oil, I tried to kick it, but it wouldn't catch. I could hear something spinning, but the clutch didn't engage.

Further, every once in a while, it'll act almost like the clutch slips in gear. I'll shift and it'll catch, then I'll lean on it, and it'll slip the clutch. Swap the clutch cable and go fro, there? I adjusted it to 1/8 out from seated, so as far as that goes, it's adjusted right.

Also, the clutch engages waaay late...how do I did this? Again, I adjusted the cable to within spec of the manual

Back